question

markess avatar image
markess asked

UK Bristol Victron ESS MCS installers

Hi,

Is there anyone on here that knows (or is) able to do residential UK Bristol Victron ESS (PV+batt) MCS-certified installations?

From the map search it seems most are off-grid or not MCS- certified.

Thanks

ESSinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

I'm sure you can find Victron installers around the South West, but you certainly won't find MCS installers because Victron isn't listed in the MCS approved database.

Some energy companies don't actually need an MCS cert and are okay with an electrician witnessing and signing off on an install that is G98/99 compliant and still offering FiT (Check with your suppliers in your area first though).

In my personal opinion I don't much fancy the whole MCS scheme anyway, its another government scheme forced down everybody's throat.

When you take a look at some of the manufacturers that are listed as MCS "approved" it is almost a joke. Even less can be said about the some of fly-by-night MCS "approved" builders/roofers-cum-solar-installers.

Obviously not all are like this and there are some very good and worthwhile installers, but it's a pet peeve of mine when I see some of the shoddy "MCS approved" installations discovered later on by legitimate electricians who present these bodge jobs made by "MCS approved installers" on YouTube and the like.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markess avatar image
markess answered ·

Just to follow up on this, I have had a residential Victron ESS installation done and have an MCS certificate, enabling export tarrifs eligibility for example, so it is possible. As I understand it the kit needs to be ENA type approved (which it is), the MCS 'product certification' scheme seems irrelevant as far as I can tell. It appears just the installer/business/person side of things needs to be MCS certified.

4 comments
2 |3000

Shiv avatar image Shiv commented ·
Hey! I'm looking at the Victron ESS + Pylontech batteries for a residential installation too.

Like many others here, I've had similar challenges navigating cowboy builders claiming to be solar installers.

I wanted to ask if you've bought the equipment yourself and had it installed and certified by someone?

Or did you get someone to supply and install?

0 Likes 0 ·
markess avatar image markess Shiv commented ·
Hi Shiv, I did some high-level system design based on the ESS documentation etc, but used a Victron expert for all the technical specs, installation and certification. I wanted to fill my roof (8.3kWp across two elevations) so needed someone to do the DNO side of things too.
0 Likes 0 ·
thornofcamor avatar image thornofcamor commented ·

Hi @markess, would you mind sharing which installer you used? I'm looking for one and would be greatful for any recommendations.

0 Likes 0 ·
markess avatar image markess thornofcamor commented ·
https://www.selectsolar.co.uk/

Very knowledgeable MCS installers

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic