question

ajr avatar image
ajr asked

bmv-712 and mppt 75/15 show different watt readings

screenshot-20220626-120217.jpgI have a fairly standard/simple solar setup with a bmv-712 monitor. I'm trying to figure out why the bmv and the mppt show significantly different wattage values. I've seen similar topics in this forum and a few % difference is to be expected, but I'm seeing (what I consider to be) fairly significant differences between the two devices. There is almost no load on the system (except for a few minor leds and background systems that can't be easily turned off, but don't consume even 10W in total), so why would these two devices show such significant differences (142w vs. 97w in the attached sample images, but I've seen other times where it's at 132w vs. 68w, which is off by more than 100%)?

screenshot-20220626-120203.jpg

TIA,

A.J.

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Probably something(s) bypassing the shunt. Are there any connections to battery negative except the shunt?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ajr avatar image
ajr answered ·

There aren't any connections that bypass the shunt, everything goes through the monitor.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

There is almost no load on the system (except for a few minor leds and background systems that can't be easily turned off, but don't consume even 10W in total)

How sure are you about this 10W estimate?

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

It is your DC system that consumes power. You have also losses when charging (charge efficiency factor, peukert...) Therefore you have 2 different monitoring points, on the supply side and on the battery side, they will not match, because of real world energy transformations and usage.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @AJR . That is quite a conundrum. We can see that 6 watts is dissipated as heat in the solar regulator.

26.15. X 5.4 = 142W. 13.48 x 10.1 = 136W

We can also see the voltages readings of the MPPT controller and the shunt are very close, 13.48 versus 13.46.

It is the current reading of the shunt and the controller that differ significantly. It would be nice to put a DC current clamp meter on the battery wire of the MPPT controller and see if it really is 10.1 amps. About three amps is being lost somewhere. It is important to turn all DC loads off or you will never know if one of those loads is taking your 3 amps.

It may be helpful to disconnect the load side of the shunt and perform a zero calibration. Failing that being out, if all loads are disconnected, one of these devices is providing the wrong reading which can be confirmed with a DC clamp meter.

My guess is the light loads are not quite as light as first thought but this can be confirmed with a simple DC clamp meter.

Good luck.

2 |3000

ajr avatar image
ajr answered ·

I'll try the zero calibration and report back here if that makes any difference (I don't suspect that it will since I've done that already), if not I'll get a clamp meter out and see if I can track down the source. Thanks for the input, I'll report back to this thread if/when I locate the source.

2 |3000