question

stianl avatar image
stianl asked

VE bluetooth - cant connect, cant find as bluetooth, cant resett

Have a new 75/10 bluesolar MPPT, and bought a VE direct BT LE dongle.

First time connecting, it was visible in the BT overview on my phone, it isnt anymore. I connected thru Victron app, and updated firmware. It was stuck, but I guess it went away.. (?)

When I find it in Victron app, I can choose the BT dongle. Error and BT lights are flashing alternatly and quick, and if I choose the BT dongle, a quick info on the dongle appears, the BT light will be constant i think, and the error light will blink slow, but thats it. I wont connect.

This is where it stops. (picture)

I have tried disconnecting it, holding down the Pin and then re-connect the BT, but doesnt matter. Any resort?

img-3669.png

VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
img-3669.png (289.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Given that the bootloader version is v1.00, I think it is begging for firmware updates.

Click the "UPDATE" and hold your breath!!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
stianl avatar image
stianl answered ·

I tried android tablet, IOS phones, etc. If there was a way to just reset to factory it should be fine. Since its not showing up on BT anymore.

Edit; I am 1-10cm from the BT.

Ive tried turning off and on phone.

If I push "update firmware" it says "latest firmware is up to date" or something

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @stianl

It seems that you got a very old Bluetooth dongle. This version required multiple firmware updates and this was sometimes a complicated process. So after a while, support for this was removed from VictronConnect.

What you can try is the following:

• Go to the Android Bluetooth settings menu and when it lists the dongle, forget it by pressing on the cog wheel on the right next to it and then select forget
  • Uninstall the current VictronConnect
  • Download an old version of VictronConnect from our site: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/software/VictronConnect-v5.8-armv7.apk
    Store this on an Android phone/tablet.
  • Install this old version by clicking on it in any file manager. Android might complain that the app you are using is not allowed to install programs. In that case you need to (temporarily) give it permissions to do this.
  • Start the just installed old VictronConnect
  • The dongle should be visible in the device list. Click it to connect.
  • VictronConnect should now show a firmware update screen. Start the update.
  • When the firmware update is done, VictronConnect should go back to the device list after the update. The MPPT should now be visible in the device list.
  • Uninstall the old VictronConnect
  • Install a new VictronConnect (via the Android Play Store)
  • Start the new VictronConnect
  • The MPPT should now be visible. Select it.
  • VictronConnect should now report that a firmware update is available. Perform this firmware update.
  • VictronConnect should go back to the device list after the update. Select the MPPT again. VictronConnect should now connect and at a certain point, Android should ask for a pincode, which is "000000".

With kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

3 comments
2 |3000

stianl avatar image stianl commented ·

What you can try is the following:

• Go to the Android Bluetooth settings menu and when it lists the dongle, forget it by pressing on the cog wheel on the right next to it and then select forget

- Not possible. The dongle will not appear in BT overview.

Is there this old model for IOS also?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ stianl commented ·

Hi @stianl

When the dongle is not visible in the bluetooth menu, you can just skip this step.

Unfortunately, there is not an old iOS version, as it is much harder to install apps outside of the app store on iOS and the app store only provides the latest version.

There is an old MacOS version that you could try when you also have a mac. This can be found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/software/VictronConnect_v5.8.dmg

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
stianl avatar image stianl Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
I can just use my tablet. Good that I bought it.

Thanks, ill try this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic