question

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie asked

Ground relay test failed error 0x10000 with no load on a brand new multiplusII

Hi everybody

new in the Victron world, I'm about to get a multiplusII installed to power my home.

Unfortunately, the installer (a pro) seems blocked with the encountered issue as described in the title and I'm trying to help him in getting it at work as fast as possible.

- At start up I systematically get a ground relay test failed with error code 0x10000

- There is no load connected at all (breaker opened) and ground is properly wired (0,3V between N and Ground on AC IN)

- When measuring the resistance between L and N on AC OUT1, I find = 0 Ohms ? when on AC OUT2 there is a good 5MOhm.

If anybody already get this and know how to solve it : you are warmly welcomed to share the information ;)

thank you for your help

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·
I would disconnect all AC cables, IN and OUT, let the inverter do a test, if it fails then you need to get the inverter repaired or replaced.
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jeanmarie

This post will be of use to you then.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image jeanmarie commented ·
Hi Alexandra, thank you for your contribution.

Yes I already saw this message and tried to follow the described procedure, unfortunately no it doesn't help for my case : all attempt of powering on the multiplus, even after following the described procedure in the message in link, end with this error (and error code 0x10000)

resistance between N and earth is almost infinite as there is no wire on either L or N of AC OUT1

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Have the same issue on an older multi, even when loads are disconnected.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
No other number before the 0x10... number
2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Hi Alexandra and many thanks for your implication in my problem

as said I'm newbie in Victron world and I try learning as much as I can, I would like to apologize as I didn't noticed that there were the right key to press after the error code 0x10000 to get the fault in detail.

This error says "Error: PE2 open"

and the number in front of it seems just to be increasing (now it is at #160)

After digging in the different notice available over internet and retrieving parameters selected by my installer I found out that country/grid code standard was set to "other : not compliant to any grid code standard" instead of (for example) "Other AC Neutral path externally joined (not compliant)" which is the case were I live (grid is of type TT)

Do you think this could be the main cause for my trouble ?

2 |3000

Marco Dressel avatar image
Marco Dressel answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image jeanmarie commented ·
thank you Marco for witnessing : what does Victron through your installer say?
0 Likes 0 ·
Marco Dressel avatar image
Marco Dressel answered ·

Installed the Multiplus myself. Ran easily too.

after weeks the error came.

Victron assumes a defective relay.

2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

This depends on how the inverter was installed.

Ideally you have both the L and N for all loads on the inverter go through the inverter. This protects loads as when there is an outage loads are completely disconnected from grid.

The "Other AC Neutral path externally joined (not compliant)" option is used when the N path for loads on the inverter aren't wired through the inverter. I don't recommend this type of install.

But you answer your question no this mode won't change your fault as it for inverter loads and not the type of grid you are using.

Do you have any AC wires attached? Or is the inverter just wired fro DC right now?
On the input side do you have continuity between ground and neutral?

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Hi Shaneyake,

thank you for your insert and the advice regarding grid code.

Problem occurs whatever the connection are (connected to load or not) even with all breaker AC (IN and OUT) disconnected

On AC terminals (with opened breakers) the only continuity is between L and N on AC OUT1 (short circuited), between L and N on AC OUT2 I have 3 MOhms

On the home circuit, yes Ground and Neutral are connected together at least from the grid's side (local grid is in TT mode)

2 |3000

jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

Unfortunately Yes, I agree with your conclusion as I made the test with both breaker opened (AC IN and AC OUT) which it is almost like all wires were removed (there are only 2 m. cable between Multiplus and breakers).

I will share that with my installer.

2 |3000