question

wraithdragon avatar image
wraithdragon asked

BlueSolar 150/60 mc4 terminal melted

Hi All,

As the title states, I've had an MC4 connector on my BlueSolar 150/60 MPPT melt. My question is are these replaceable? I'm kind of hoping I can screw it out and screw a new one in, or perhaps convert it to

I know most people are going to say "warranty warranty warranty", and while yes that would be good, the reality of my situation is that I live rural and bought this online so would have to post it and then wait on the seller and then wait on them posting it back. That could be 2 to 3 weeks, and to say it's not ideal to not have power (I'm off grid) for that long would be an understatement.

I don't believe the connector melted due to any fault of the unit, I'd say it was too much resistance in a bad connector. Charge at the time was well under the 30A recommended max of MC4 terminals.

So, any chance I am going to be able to replace the terminal myself?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wraithdragon avatar image
wraithdragon answered ·

The answer is both yes and no. Yes the terminals can be replaced, but no because you'll most likely destroy the unit trying to take it apart (like I did). If you could somehow super heat the area where the 2 copper coils are glued to the aluminium cover, then maybe it would lift off easily enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

These Mppt's are potted to reduce vibration stress etc.

Makes them hard to pull apart.

7 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Another view , different model, no potting.

You will lose warranty if you have to cut it open, just saying.

0 Likes 0 ·
wraithdragon avatar image wraithdragon klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Thanks, this is a great view! I really appreciate your help. And yes, I figured that cutting it open could possibly void warranty. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
So if I'm lucky mine won't be potted? But I'm guessing there's no way to tell until/if I try to open it up.
0 Likes 0 ·
Well mine was most certainly potted. You don't need to worry about following up any of my other answers. Thanks for your help.
0 Likes 0 ·
wraithdragon avatar image wraithdragon commented ·
This is terrible news.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ wraithdragon commented ·
Have you checked the other MC4 to see if it is good?
0 Likes 0 ·
Do you mean the second set on connectors on the charge controller? They are fine, it was just the positive of the front most terminals that melted. I had 2 strings of panels on my roof, which each used it's own set of terminals on the charge controller.
0 Likes 0 ·