question

user0815 avatar image
user0815 asked

Smartsolar 250/100 MC4 connector issue?

Hello.

I own 2 pieces 250/100 MC4 and 2 pieces 150/70 MC4 charge controllers. Yesterday I re-laid the PV cables. I noticed the bad contact on the 250/100 charge controllers. If you look closely, you notice that the pins on the MC4 plugs on the charger are too deep in the plug. Both 250/100 charge controllers have the same problem. The minus socket: approx. 11mm on one charger and approx. 10mm on the second. When I plug in the MC4 connector, I have a contact length of approx. 2-3mm. With the 150/70 it's ok. Approx. 5mm to the contact and thus 7-8mm contact length.

I opened a 250/100 charge controller. Nothing is bent. Everything looks normal. The contacts are too far back on the holder. Looks like an assembly mistake to me. Has anyone ever had the problem?

Greeting

Paul

---------------

Hallo.

Ich besitze 2 Stück 250/100 MC4 und 2 Stück 150/70 MC4 Laderegler. Gestern habe ich die PV Kabel neu verlegt. Dabei ist mir der schlechte Kontakt an den 250/100 Ladereglern aufgefallen. Beim genauen hin sehen fällt auf, dass die Pin’s an den MC4 Steckern am Ladegerät zu tief im Stecker drin sind. Beide 250/100 Laderegler haben das gleiche Problem. Die Minus Buchse: ca. 11mm an einem Ladegerät und am zweiten ca. 10mm. Wenn ich den MC4 Stecker einstecke, habe ich also eine Kontaktlänge von ca. 2-3mm. Bei den 150/70 ist es ok. Ca. 5mm bis zum Kontakt und somit 7-8mm Kontaktlänge.

Ich habe einen 250/100 Laderegler geöffnet. Es ist nichts verbogen. Alles sieht normal aus. Die Kontakte sind auf dem Halter zu weit hinten angebracht. Sieht für mich wie ein Montagefehler aus. Hat jemand das Problem schon mal gehabt?

Gruß

Paul

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

Not an easy issue to find and diagnose - respect.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Statt den MPPT auseinander zu nehmen und damit die Garantie zu verlieren, hätten sie sich lieber gleich an ihren Händler wenden sollen, um ggf. Ersatz zu bekommen.

Dieser könnte ggf. auch Mal in seinem Lager schauen, ob das evtl. ein generelles Problem ist und dann direkt an Victron weiterleiten.

1 comment
2 |3000

Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin commented ·

A. bit of a grey area here, consumers have rights of non-conformity that are not as easily extinguished.

0 Likes 0 ·
user0815 avatar image
user0815 answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE The answer doesn't solve the problem, but thank you. / Die Antwort löst das Problem nicht, aber danke.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @user0815

Thank you for noticing this, I've send you an email to find out what went wrong.

2 |3000

Simo Hassi avatar image
Simo Hassi answered ·

Just recently the same defect caused a serious problem to me. On a sunny day one of the MC4 cable connectors to my EasySolar 48/5000 melted. In this case depth of the connector pin in the EasySolar was about 9 mm. When removing the melted cable connector also the counterpart in the EasySolar was damaged. Can the connectors be repaired? Or even better, could they be replaced by Tr connectors?

Unfortunately warranty of the EasySolar has already expired but maybe Victron could still help here?

2 |3000