question

erich-herselman avatar image
erich-herselman asked

Loss of communication to ET112 Grid meter

I finished a new Victron 5KVA Easysolar installation connected to an ET112 Grid meter. The system will run perfectly for a few hours and then looses communication to the ET112 and causes the Inverter to go into a Passthru mode. I then need to reboot the CCGX that will solve the problem untill it happens again after anything from a few minutes to a couple of hours. It will also always happens after a grid failure (load shedding) when the power is restored. I replaced the ET112 grid meter as well as the victron rs485 to usb cable which didn't solve the problem. I re-routed the the rs485 to usb cable and did the software upgrade again without any success. I've done many similar installations in the past and never experienced this issue. Any suggestions to solve this issue.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

You have a faulty ET112 meter i have had one fail the same way.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

erich-herselman avatar image erich-herselman commented ·
I already replaced the ET112 as well as the cable and it didn't solve the problem

0 Likes 0 ·
lennycb avatar image
lennycb answered ·

@Erich Herselman slowly I believe that it is because of the ET112.

it was similar for me. At first it seemed to run smoothly. Then another device with RS485 was added and then the errors started. First communication abort, then the ET112 was no longer found.

None of the solutions suggested to me worked.

Workaround: I am currently not using the ET112.

2 |3000

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

I think they use modbus - any other device having the same mod adress? or another ET112 in parallel?

You could try to change the modadress with software from carlo ....

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I'd maybe try connecting the Et112 to a computer and use the Carlo configuration software to see if you can read the data on the computer.

It would at least tell you if it's the ET112 or another area of the system.

My only other guess is if you have other RS485 devices connected then the ID's might be conflicting.. @lenny.cb this sounds like your issue.

You can daisy chain RS485 devices if the IDs are different but I'm guessing you might have multiple devices and they are defaulting to the same ID and maybe conflicting hence why they might work at first then suddenly errors occur.

Might be worth changing the ID in the Carlo settings and see if that helps.

3 comments
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Apologies I've just seen @Lifeingalicia has beaten me to it.
0 Likes 0 ·
lennycb avatar image lennycb commented ·

Yes, I had already changed the ID on the ET112 (with arlo UCS7). No success.

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 lennycb commented ·
Seems odd if carlo software is fine but CGGx is not.

A long shot but maybe tweak baud speed? Can't see why that might help but maybe if you're on a weird rate the CCGX might not like it.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. You've replaced et112 and rs485 to usb. The only other variable is CCGX. Seems odd that it works somewhat, that's why the conflicting devices seemed reasonable.

0 Likes 0 ·
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

@matt1309 - no worries better two answers then none....

2 |3000

erich-herselman avatar image
erich-herselman answered ·

Thanks for all the inputs. I replaced the Colour Control GX yesterday and it's running without any problems now for 36 hours already.

2 |3000