question

jond avatar image
jond asked

Multiplus: I don't want to use battery power on AC2 dump load

I have a MultiPlus II 8000, MPPT RS450/100 and 18 x 370w solar panels. I have a 8kw lithium battery bank. I am not allowed to feed into the grid. I don't have a ET112 energy meter installed currently. My whole DB board goes through the system. Critical loads on AC1 and 2 geysers and a small stove on AC2. I live in SA and we have blackouts twice daily for 2 hours Which uses about 30% of my battery bank (maximum).

When the geyser and stove switches on the solar power is usually sufficient but sometimes there is a shortfall and is supplemented by the battery instead of the grid. What are my options here?

1) Is there a way to program ESS / another assistant to ensure that the battery is not used for AC2 loads?

2) Do I need to take these loads off the AC2 and bypass the system and then use the ET112 Energy Meter to power these extra loads with excess solar power and grid only.

A best practice and long term solution answer will be appreciated. Thanks.

Multiplus-IIESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

It depends how "old" your Multiplus is - see this discussion

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1343/enabling-multi-ac-output-2-during-grid-outage.html

As far as I know the older Multiplus has no AC out 2 relay - It is directly wired.

But you can use the Gen start stop assistants or virtual assistant and may have to aply reverse logic.

E.G. normally gen start at 40% SOC so one uses an normally closed relay to shed loads when this becomes active.... (Feed ACout II through this normally closed relay...)

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Automatic_Generator_start-stop/en/which-relay-and-control-to-use-.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Thought about ita bit more ... Complete avoidance of using bat may not be desirable as each time a cloud sails by the geysers may cut out .. but using a % tage of SOC does not tax the bat overly and offers smooth operation whilst keeping enough to get basic operations across power outages.....

Alternatively you could go outside Victron use a homeautomation system like openHab which can comunicate with Victron and switch Sonoff devices acording to availability of power...

2 |3000