question

derlang avatar image
derlang asked

MPPT 250 BMS control

Hello,

I urgently need help as my MPPT is going to blow my Batteries.

My MPPT is set to BMS controlled = NO.

How can this be changed? I've asked the shop I've bought it and they checked internally with some Victron colleagues and all refer me to this forum

Is there a way, even it means to send the MPPT to Victron.

But actually I hope that a setting in a commen menu (Cerbo GX) can be set back back.

Many thanks in advance.

MPPT ControllersBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@DerLang

This may not be a satisfactory answer, but here is how I solve the problem: Restarting the GX device usually causes the MPPT to return to be BMS controlled.

FWIW: If your system is set up correctly (i.e. the correct voltage limits for absorption and float are also set in the MPPT), error #67 cannot "blow" your batteries.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derlang avatar image derlang commented ·

Hi Stefanie,

I really hope that it is that easy. I am going to restart (reboot, power off?) the GX device this evening.

I've already tried to remove/delete the MPPT from GX device but this did not help.

Settings of Absorption&Float were setup according to Batrium manual.

Once my battery reaches full state, they are currently drifting away. The BMS tells then to stop charging or get in reduced charging (1A). Both values are currently not passed to the MPPT and therfore it is charging on full power which my BMS can not handle in time and there shuts down the connection to the batteries (as it should do). But I'd like to prevent to force the BMS disconnecting instead limit charging power.

Keeping you updated if it worked.

Many thanks and regards

Joerg

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ derlang commented ·

Hi Joerg,

Batrium BMS is not supported by Victron. And when I google for DVCC along with Batrium and GX devices, there are many reports that this does not work as it should.

So maybe it would be a good idea if you direct your question to Batrium, since they are responsible for making their BMS compatible with the GX firmware?

0 Likes 0 ·
derlang avatar image derlang Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I am in contact with them as well. But the BMS tells the GX device in "Batrium" section -> Parameters -> CCL -> 0A / 1A / 210A depending on charging state of the BMS.

I am using ESS and as I do not feed in to grid yet, I need to control the maximum output of the MPPT. Later on I hope the Multiplus 2 will use the excess power of the MPPT to feed in to grid (but this needs a lot of paper in Germany).

0 Likes 0 ·
Meine_Energiewende avatar image Meine_Energiewende derlang commented ·
Batrium works quite well with Victron. I've a Setup with Batrium / MP2 / 3x MPPT and 2 x Fronius and never got a problem with that. What are your Firmware Versions on the GX, Batrium and MPPT ? Did you set a corresponding maximum charge voltage to the MPPT in case the communication is not working correctly ? (which should be way lower than max charge voltage communicated by DVCC).

Jens

0 Likes 0 ·
derlang avatar image derlang Meine_Energiewende commented ·

Yesterday I turned off and on the GX device and MPPT is now back on BMS controlled! AWESOME. So easy but so undocumented and in so many other threads not explained. Anyways this is now working, I am way more relaxed now.

On the other hand I did not enable DVCC as I understood that ESS is doing this instead. After some searching I found that ESS and DVCC can work in parallel so I've activated it. Once the sun is back so that I have enough power to recharge my batteries to full, I'll investigate how the system performs now.

0 Likes 0 ·
derlang avatar image derlang Meine_Energiewende commented ·
I've activated DVCC and MPPT is back on BMS controlled.

Everything is now working as expected, now I only need to reconfigure Batrium BMS as I set the values to a more than very cautious setting.

Thanks everyone for the support.

0 Likes 0 ·