question

jeremyprz avatar image
jeremyprz asked

Cerbo GX - Does not Boot (x2)

Hi,

I'm setting up a solar array with several Victron products including Cerbo GX and GX Touch. I've installed a Lynx Distributor, MPPT 150/45 solar controller, Phoenix Inverter, and 2x 12V 100-AH LiFePO4 Batteries (in parallel), and a SmartShunt 500. As-installed, everything seems to work correctly & I can connect to the shunt and MPPT via bluetooth.

When I went to add the Cerbo GX with the supplied cable wired to the battery leads (bypassing all other components) the Cerbo GX simply does not boot.

When I probe the power cable where it connects to the Cerbo GX, it measures +13.13V (within the 8 : 70V DC spec).

The Cerbo GX does not boot, no lights flash, and no other ports measure any voltages (always 0V).

I thought maybe I had a bad unit, so I purchased a new one and returned the old. New one came... same thing!

The only thing remaining I can think of is to swap out the power cable (maybe the pins are too recessed?), which I'm going to try now.

What are the chances of two bad units?

Has anyone else experienced this?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jeremyprz avatar image
jeremyprz answered ·

Problem solved. The issue was between the battery & the entire system was a battery quick-connect https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JMTS14 - which was used in the vicinity of salt-water and had corroded. The voltage being passed to the system spiked to +13V, but was inconsistent. I thought my readings were inconsistent due to the fat probes being pushed into the small Cerbo GX power lead, but it was the quick-connect. After eliminating the corroded connector, everything works properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Was the polarity correct?

If you are sure about that and you used the same cable, check the inline fuse.

Also, nothing should be connected directly to the battery negative when you have a SmartShunt.

3 comments
2 |3000

Stefan avatar image Stefan commented ·
@Seb71 hi, why should nothing be connected to battery negative when using a smart shunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Stefan commented ·
Nothing, except the "Battery" side of the shunt.

Because the current must flow entirely through the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefan avatar image Stefan seb71 commented ·

Ah ok. I misunderstood, that's clear.

0 Likes 0 ·
mio23 avatar image
mio23 answered ·

Mam ten isty problem vpredu. napájanie je 53V. Mne sa to nezapne. Zapína sa nové cerbo nejako špeciálne? Prvý štart.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jons Collasius avatar image Jons Collasius commented ·

No, there is no "special procedure" for the first start. The LEDs should start flashing immediately.

Check that the polarity is correct and that the small fuse in the cable near the positive cable terminal is not defective.

0 Likes 0 ·