question

downgrader avatar image
downgrader asked

Initial Top Balancing Lifepo4 24v configuration

I have 4 SOK 12v 206ah batteries going into a 24v 412ah configuration to a Victron MP 3kw/24v

The SOKs have in-built BMS and have been sitting unused (in their shipping boxes) since late last year when I ordered them.

The voltage for each individual 12v battery is currently ~13.07 (two are at .07, one is .06 and one .08).

My question is what would be the best approach to do the initial load top balance? Should I use a bench charger device to bring each one up to proper voltage separately or will the Victron MP do the initial top balance correction even if they are in their ultimate 24v configuration? If the Victron MP will take care of it, are there settings I need to adjust from default for this to occur?

Lithium Batterymultiplus ve.busBattery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Sok recommend Notice for connect in series: If you need connect batteries in series, they should be at the same state-of-charge (SOC)before they are connected.

The only practical way to achieve this is to fully charge each battery (to top balance the cells inside) individually before wiring them in series.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

downgrader avatar image downgrader commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

I read that if the batteries are within .05v of one another they're considered the same SOC and it's okay to wire in series. Any thoughts on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ downgrader commented ·
I would still recommend that you have fully charged each battery.
2 Likes 2 ·
downgrader avatar image downgrader klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
will do, thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic