question

dragonzzr11 avatar image
dragonzzr11 asked

Smartsolar 100/20 app shows 0.2 volts less than actual battery voltage

As many already have pointed out in many questions, there is a voltage difference of about 0.2V - 0.1V between the reported app voltage and the controller terminals voltage.

Some report its higher, some report its lower.

In my case its reporting 0.2-0.1 V LOWER than the actual voltage of the battery.

The setup is as simple as it can get.

12v system

12v Lifepo4 battery->25cm 6mm2 cable->Smart Controller

Nothing else attached or connected.

Voltages have been measured both on the MPPT battery terminals as well as on the battery itself and i have confirmed it with three different multimeters.

Possibly a firmware problem or its just "acceptable", with all the side effects that it may have (like f.e terminating bulk stage 0.2v HIGHER in reality ?)

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I think we have to accept these small variations as an acceptable level of precision for these products. 0.1 or 0.2 of a volt is a pretty small variation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dragonzzr11 avatar image
dragonzzr11 answered ·

I agree to some point with your answer, but 1.5-2% accuracy variation is probably significant when charging/discharging LIFEPO4 batteries where tolerances are so tight.

I just cant understand why the app reports different voltage than the controller itself.

Anyone from Victron has an answer ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows