question

ccraven avatar image
ccraven asked

VE Direct connector has jumper on Tx Rx

Hi all, I have a Smart Solar 75/15. It was delivered with a jumper connected across what I think is the Tx Rx lines of the VE Direct port. I would like to add a lorawan transmitter. Is it ok to remove this jumper? Presumably I will have to to connect the transmitter?

Also, does anyone know if the lorawan transmitter is waterproof? Or, can the whole unit, including antenna be mounted indoors, i.e. within a shed?

Many thanks!

MPPT ControllersLoRaWAN
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

VE direct port is small, white, has 4 pins. There's a green jumper for configuring some parameters, see section 3.5 of the manual. Guessing you mixed the two up.

No idea about Lorawan, sorry.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ccraven avatar image ccraven commented ·

Thanks for the info. The jumper I mean is on the MPPT itself: 1656079825976.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1656079825976.png (42.7 KiB)
jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

Yes you can remove it.

Once removed the VE.direct port will default to a Communications port.

I assume you are NOT using the Load Output screw terminals on the MPPT to power a load?

If you are using the Load Output then please be aware that removing this jumper disables the "Battery Life" algorithm which helps manage your battery life by cutting off loads until the battery has reached a healthy State of Charge.

Without out this you will need some type of protection via BMV or Battery Protect or your own custom solution to help save your battery from being discharged to zero by loads.

1656095757302.png

1656095757302.png (302.6 KiB)
2 |3000

jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

You can set the load output via the App as well if you are using the Load Output terminals.

It is just important to remember to set it !

If you power loads directly from the battery then you need some form of additional battery protection to avoid discharges to zero.

3 comments
2 |3000

ccraven avatar image ccraven commented ·
Thanks for your comments. I am intending to use the load output at some point. So when using ve direct does this mean it is not possible to use the battery life algorithm? Or if I understand correctly it still can be used via the app?
0 Likes 0 ·
jc2010 avatar image jc2010 ccraven commented ·
Sorry my first reply was a bit confusing.

You can still you use the Battery Life algo if you are using the VE.direct port for communication, but you have to manually set the Output to use the Battery Life algo in the app.

0 Likes 0 ·
ccraven avatar image ccraven jc2010 commented ·
OK, then that is fine. I will remember to set it in the app.

Thanks for the comments!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic