question

scottd avatar image
scottd asked

Esy Solar 12 1600 MPPT Solar panel layout Wiring

Hello All, Thank you so much for all your help. I am super excited to get stuck into my new project and switch to an awesome Victron System. I have on order an Easy Solar 12 1600 and just have a question on panel layout. I have ordered 4X https://au.renogy.com/renogy-200-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/ and wanted to find out my best options on wiring them to my 2X 200ah 12V Litium Batteries that will be in Parallel configuration. Am i better to have the panels in Parallel or series configuration to the Easy Solar input. Also can these 4X panels be plugged into just one of the 3 input plugs for the MMPT on the easy solar?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
scottd avatar image
scottd answered ·

@klim8skeptic Why would i bring 2 does in series and 2 down in parallel? Am i missing something? If i use series won't the MPPT convert the extra volts to amps and flow that through to the batteries? You have confused me with your post.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

An example of a 2 Series X 2 Parallel array from Wiring Unlinited.

2-series-x-2-parallel-array.png

With your panels you will have 2 strings of 2 series panels.

Array Voc of about 54v, and Isc of 19.32a. Well within the mppts input rating of 100v-60a.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

2 Series x 2 Parallel array would be good. This can be done without series fuses, although a breaker would be nice before the mppt.

You could use Y connectors on the roof and only bring down 1 pair of wires to the mppt.

Or you could bring 2 pair down and join at the breaker.

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@ScottD if you bring a single pair of wires, this must be 4 panels in parallel. Otherwise you'll blow the charge controller with 4 panels in series.

The 3 pairs of MC4 connectors on the easysolar are connected in parallel to the charge controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
scottd avatar image scottd kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Hello Kevin

The panels are Max Power at STC: 200W Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 27V

so open Circuit would be 108V

From the manual for the Easy Solar

2.4 Charge Controller MPPT 100/50

Charge current up to 50 A and PV voltage up to 100 V

The SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 charge controller is able to charge a lower nominal-voltage

battery from a higher nominal voltage PV array.

Maybe i am missing something but in series and parelle i should be fine right?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ scottd commented ·
The first number of the MPPT specifies max input voltage and should take into account winter conditions. Hence the 108V is over the max and likely to kill the MPPT.

System will work fine with all panels in parallel. Having 2 series paris brings the advantage of halving the current to the controller, so reducing losses and can potentially extend the times you have enough light to charge with. THe MPPT needs actual battery voltage + 5V to start and battery voltage +1V to keep charging. With your panels on a 12V battery the advantage is small. And may be offset by the reducd MPPT efficiency when converting 54V to charge the battery. Either way, it's probably best to go with what's easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
scottd avatar image
scottd answered ·

Thanks Guys for your time and replies. @klim8skeptic The picture is 100% clearer now i understand. I think that's the configuration i will go with. Thanks for your Time! :)

2 |3000