question

siletzspey avatar image
siletzspey asked

A Battery Protect and Motor Snubber Diodes?

I am using a BP 12/24|100 with a BMV-712 to cut all loads when my 200Ah LiFePO4 bank falls below 20% SOC. Among my loads are a water pump, two vent fans, and an awning (i.e. many MOTORS).

I took care to make sure no reverse currents flow thru the BP, but am now wondering if I should put snubber/flyback diodes on all the motors to arrest any reverse currents they generate when they spin down? Solenoids can be another source of generated reverse currents.

If *I* switch off a motor, any generated reverse current would be isolated behind the off-switch and not reach the BP.

If *the BP* cuts loads while some motors are spinning (e.g. vent fan), any generated reverse current *can* reach the BP.

Can these motors generate enough reverse current and is a BP delicate enough to reverse currents that I should put snubber diodes on all motors? Every other month someone posts a picture of a burned up Battery Protect, and motor/relay reverse currents never make the list of potential suspects.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Can't do any harm, but I've no idea if it's needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.