question

macca61 avatar image
macca61 asked

Multiplus overheating

Hi , I had a 3kva 16 amp multiplus with a colour control and 10kva Fischer panda generator, the multiplus occasionally overheated so sent it to energy solutions for repair, but bought a replacement 50 amp unit instead as I couldn’t be without one. Energy solutions could find nothing wrong with this unit so sold this on, I now find my new unit is overheating again but virtually 30 seconds after switching on to battery charge, we have tried a fan on the unit to make sure it has plenty of cooling but appears to make no difference, inverting is fine but charging is causing the problem it initially charges at about 100 amps as we have 1000 amps of batteries, could the colour control be giving a false reading ? Any ideas please

Multiplus-II
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

is the fan running while this happens?
do you have photo's of the install?

0 Likes 0 ·
macca61 avatar image macca61 boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi mate thanks for taking the time, I am away for 2 weeks now as an experiment I have down rated the battery charging to 50 amps and my wife informs me so far no problems , it’s not a fix but keeps her going for the time being

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
macca61 avatar image
macca61 answered ·

Just as an experiment we have disconnected the colour control and remote and tried it , same result so I’m assuming it’s the multiplus, I can’t think it can be anything else, any ideas anybody ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

could you please advise us with more information

and yes a 16 amp version would not have a big enough pass through relay to transfer 10Kw by a long way.

1. firmware version of multi

2. fw version of CCGX

3. are you using assistants and how they are setup

4. is the inverter on pass through mode or is it assisting or inverting

5. have you changed anything in VE Config please advise on all settings pictures would be nice.

6. What type of batteries are you using (LIPO or lead acid)

7. when the unit cuts off with overheat what is the output watts and also what is the input as well if the generator is running. (a screen capture of the remote CCGX screen would be helpfull)

8. are you connected to the victron VRM system and have you looked there at all the information to see if that sheds any light on why

9. a layout diagram could also help

There maybe more info needed but the above would be a helpfull start.

1 comment
2 |3000

macca61 avatar image macca61 commented ·

Paul B answered · 18 hours ago

could you please advise us with more information

and yes a 16 amp version would not have a big enough pass through relay to transfer 10Kw by a long way.

1. firmware version of multi

2. fw version of CCGX

V2.23

3. are you using assistants and how they are setup

no assistant

4. is the inverter on pass through mode or is it assisting or inverting

Pass through but charging batteries, if i limit the charging amps its ok, overheats only on generator on and charging batteries, i say overheats, it tells me its overheating but it is still cool to touch and no evidence of excess warmth, this pic is just before it shuts down

5. have you changed anything in VE Config please advise on all settings pictures would be nice.

no changes

6. What type of batteries are you using (LIPO or lead acid)

Rolls Lead acid 12 volt , 5 x 200 AH

7. when the unit cuts off with overheat what is the output watts and also what is the input as well if the generator is running. (a screen capture of the remote CCGX screen would be helpfull)

8. are you connected to the victron VRM system and have you looked there at all the information to see if that sheds any light on why

9. a layout diagram could also help

0 Likes 0 ·
victron.jpg (800.6 KiB)
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

There is a big efficiency difference

ie from gen you are taking 1952w yet you are consuming only 1577

lost is 375watts thats about 20%

I suspect there is something up with the Generators output quality and power factor or your wiring possibility

recheck

Active and neutral is correct to AC1 in

try for interest sake removing the AC1 out connections just so you isolate it for testing and see if you are still having the problem

you will then need to get some test gear and test out your generators output quality

1 comment
2 |3000

macca61 avatar image macca61 commented ·

Hi mate as per my reply to Boekel thanks for taking the time to have a look , I am away now for 2 weeks have turned down battery charging amps to max 50 and at present appears ok but will do as suggested when I get back

Regards

Gordon

0 Likes 0 ·