question

wlkp avatar image
wlkp asked

Problems with Smart BatteryProtect BP-100

I have Smart BatteryProtect BP-100 and Smart BatteryProtect BP-65 installed in my Camper to protect two installations. The Smart BatteryProtect BP-100 has an inverter and six 12V circuits connected to it. After 12 months of work, he reported an E1 error.
Interestingly:

- 12V circuits checked, also the converter.

- connecting the same circuits to the Smart BatteryProtect BP-65 does not interfere with its operation.

- Smart BatteryProtect BP-100 works with the inverter only and reports no error.

- load value at the level of max 30A.

Any ideas?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Wlkp

>The Smart BatteryProtect BP-100 has an inverter and six 12V circuits connected to it. After 12 months of work, he reported an E1 error.<

How exactly did you connect the inverter?

E1 can have several causes. One of them is high inrush current when directly powering the DC supply of the inverter through the SBP. This is a no-no.

Other reasons for E1 are loose connections, high resistance connections, exceeding the max. current allowed (which can as a result of high inrush current with capacitive loads like inverters).

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wlkp avatar image wlkp commented ·

I switched the inverter to 65 and it is working fine. Of course. I checked 100 and 65 with the same load. I will add that the 12 V circuits and the inverter work at 65.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ wlkp commented ·

Just to clarify, DC powering the inverter via an SBP is a no-go, even if it works for you.

It will void the warranty and can cause other problems, such as reverse current (which destroys the SBP) etc.

0 Likes 0 ·