question

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron asked

Migrating from all in one EPEVER, I need suggestions.

I currently have installed in a 100% off grid cabin the following setup:

7x 430w in series (48v 10amp)

4 x AOKLY GEL 12v 200a in series 48v

5kWh EPEVER UP5000-HM8042 80 aH PV max 440V max

Long story short, I got what I paid for so now I'm looking to migrate to Victron.

I am not familiar with the best practices with Victron but what would be the suggested setup to get my cabin going?

I am not sure If I should go with the Multiplus II 3000va or 5000va. (we use circular saws and other power tools from time to time but the biggest load always plugged would be the fridge.

I have the solar panels in series but the MTTP I would need should be big and expensive I am not sure if I need to split in several series or not to buy smaller MTTPs.

It's a not a small investment having bought already other system so I am looking to add the basics and then add the Cerbo GX mainly for remote monitoring purposes.

all in all: which inverter? how many solar controllers? and what else to get it going?

thanks!

victron community
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The 7 PV modules makes things very tricky when selecting an MPPT. An even number would mean that yu could connect two series strings together into one charge smaller controller. The module Voltage also means that strings of three or five would bring the Voc uncomfortably close to the 150V or 250V limits and could go over in cold conditions. I assume that the 48V you stated is the Voc rating?
Your options are 2x 250/60, one for a string of 4 and another for a string of 3. Otherwise 1x MPPT RS with all 7 in series into it.
If you could obtain and install an 8th panel that simply 1x 250/100 would accommodate 2 strings of four into it.

A 3kVA MultiPlus would probably be fine. I used one in my workshop for years and it had no trouble with saws, drilling machines, lathe, milling machine, small compressor etc. You might have to manage things as not to use too many tools at once depending upon the size of them. If you have a compressor kick on whilst you are sawing, that could be an issue. My compressor is small, so I have not noticed any problems. A fridge on continuously will not be a problem.

Are there any particular problems with your current system that bother you? Perhaps we can help address them too?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ffvictron avatar image ffvictron commented ·

The site is in southern hemisphere, so we are in the less sun productive months, May and June are the worst. I've had several blackouts due to the system inhability to charge, although it's an inverter charger It does not work as described so there is no way I can use a generator to charge the batteries. I contacted EPEVER but they dont even know what is wrong with it other than suggesting using other generator. I've already tried with two Hondas and one Yamaha. so I am tired of it.

The regular load is about 3 aH that means in 2.7 days of dark the system will run out of juicy. I was thinking of adding another set of 4x12v 200ah. in parallel with the current set to increase bank but I am not sure whether to invest on that or change the entirely the solution.

The solar panel specifications are Vmp 40.7V, Imp 10.57A, Voc 49.4V, Isc 11.15A, Max sys Voltage 1500V, Cell Technology Si Mono.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic