question

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx asked

Bluetooth disappearing and reappearing daily - see timeline graph

Here's the "evidence" that the BT is coming and going. But I'm not sure how to make it clear that it's actually dropping completely out at the OS level and coming back on it's own...

cerbo-bt-online-and-offline.jpg

Green line is hard-wired temp. Other three are Ruuvi tags. When they show, the Settings/Bluetooth menu shows up and the native BT is "Enabled." Also, when they show, the Settings/IO/Bluetooth Sensors menu is there.

cerbo-io-bt.jpg

But the only adapter seems to be the stock / built-in unit.

cerbo-io-bt-adapters.jpg

Then it'll all go away again - without touching / messing with it.

Bluetoothmodificationsruuvi sensorsBluetooth Low Energy - BLE
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@gregoryx

Please see if the other thread here helps resolving your bluetooth issues with the RuuviTags and let us know: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/137190/cerbogx-v286-bluetooth-issues.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered ·

@Stefanie, thank you for responding. There is no solution on that thread. The only solution I've seen presented thus far is to use an external dongle. I have done that - with two different "approved" / tested dongles. And I am getting what seems to be a unique outcome: BT is coming and going daily. If you can point me to any solutions to BT not showing up - not Ruuvi not showing up, but BLUETOOTH not showing up, I'm eager to try.

3 comments
2 |3000

@gregoryx

At least that was worth a try. It was not quite clear that you used a bluetooth dongle.

What surprises me a bit is that bluetooth disappears and returns almost every day at the same time. Maybe a heat problem or interference with other devices?

Do you have ssh access to the console?
If so you could try the following:

What is the output of 'lsusb'?
What is the output of 'hciconfig -a'?
What happens if you try to start the bluetooth manually with 'hciconfig hci1 up'?

A look in /var/log/messages might be worthwhile as well, but I'm not entirely sure where bluetoothctl log data are stored.

0 Likes 0 ·
gregoryx avatar image gregoryx Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Completely agree: it is a rather surprising behavior. This is why I'm posting. Something strange going on, for sure.

At first, I thought it was occurring at about the same time each day; but it actually varies. yesterday, it came online at 4:42am. Since it was working, I tried disabling the primary BT on the Settings / Bluetooth (to force only the dongle) and rebooted. It went offline completely, of course.

Last night, it came back online at 9:04pm then offline again at 9:43pm. Then came back online at 10:26pm until 12:25pm today. All these times are pulled from the VRM reports - where the sensors report in or not. And - best guess at the moment - now behaving identically with the external dongle to how it behaved with the internal BT.

Right now, the system isn't here so I can't SSH to it (gotta get Wireguard set up in Cerbo eventually). But when the BT doesn't show there is no output at all from hciconfig - it sees no bluetooth devices at all. So no hci0 or hci1 and no "up" or any other command will work.

Strangely, once the issue began, I moved back to 2.85 and up to 2.90~8 and 2.90~10 and between large and normal... and all of them behave the same now.

If someone can tell me what to look for in /which/ log, I'm eager to find a cause.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ gregoryx commented ·

There is something in /data/log/dbus-ble-sensors/current which might help debugging.

Not to forget about the output of dmesg. Look for something like 'Bluetooth: hci1'. Also see if there is some indication for problems with your usb devices.

If you run watch 'dmesg | tail' in a new shell, you can record live what is going on and later, when the Bluetooth device has disappeared, see if there has been any additional output.

Since all my Ruuvis are running without problems (with and without bluetooth dongle), I can't tell what exactly to look for.

0 Likes 0 ·
gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) , thanks for jumping in on my comment on the 2.90~8 thread.

Since this is specific to this problem - BT coming and going daily - and behaves identically from v2.85 to 2.90~10 at this point, maybe you can give me direction what to consider doing next here.

If you or Stefanie can point me to something that might help change this behavior, that would be great. I'm comfortable on the command line; but have no clue what to do on my own. I'm happy to open the system up for you to look at as well.

Your suggestion that it may be temperature related makes sense based on coming and going... but seems so strange that it's behaving the same with the internal or external Bluetooth adapter.

Just so it's clear... this is what the system looks like when BT goes offline. It just doesn't exist - there is no BT menu item. And it's not present from any of the BT command line stuff I'm aware to do - no hci0 or hci1. They're just gone.

cerbogx-29010-no-bt-menu.png

2 |3000

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered ·

Still having both BT devices (built-in and external) disappearing daily. Thought maybe 2.90~12 might help; but still the same.

Seems to be temperature related, as @mvader (Victron Energy) noted in old thread. Anyone point me to what to look for and post to try to resolve this? Sure would be nice to have the Ruuvis working 24/7 instead of coming and going.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic