question

petere101 avatar image
petere101 asked

Harvesting unused daytime solar

During the day, our solar is producing an EXCESS generation of up to 20kW per day (around 30 -40kW per day). Our grid meter is not so smart, so we feed it back into the grid for free at the moment. Our total power usage on average per day is about 26kW of which we use (get charged for ) on average 12Kw overnight when there is no solar production, so, basically, a low constant usage powering fridges, freezer, lights, TV, kid's devices etc. If we use the ducted AC, I see that it consumes between 4.5 and 7.4kW per hour extra when it is powered on.

There is one household circuit that supplies all of the above appliances except the A/C.

I have access to about 30kW of new AGM batteries configured @ 48V.

So, what would the best way be to..

1. Take that circuit off-line and attach to a Victron Multiplus 2 or Quattro

2. Attach the Victron to the excess electricity that the solar produced during the day, charging the battery bank.

3. Use the battery bank for night time power for the above appliances, thus eliminating my 12kW night time consumption.

Thanks in advance

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
petere101 avatar image
petere101 answered ·

Here is example of production at 9:38am yesterday. The 4kW is just being given back to the grid

solar.png

solar.png (14.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

I'd propose an easy way is to setup an ESS which can supply the overnight loads, as well as daytime when it is overcast, from the batteries. There will be a number of design considerations to take into account, especially with the 15kW useable AGM storage.

1 comment
2 |3000

petere101 avatar image petere101 commented ·
Thank you! Can you go into a little more detail?

0 Likes 0 ·
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

As above ESS is the way to go. I have ESS on a small install and use OpenHab software to switch sonoff devices....

1653827392327.png

Exept for the luxury of having hot water when I get up I do not use more then 60W grid and also reheat the boiler during the day with excess solar as well as AC and towell heater etc etc...

I do the blib to not have batteries going below 30-40% as we have frequent small power failures here.

This will go when I plug in the next battery.

1653827392327.png (43.2 KiB)
2 |3000

petere101 avatar image
petere101 answered ·

Hi,

"As above ESS is the way to go. I have ESS on a small install "

Could you please go into some detail as to how and what you use to charge your ESS, and how do you prevent the charger from using grid power during shady/rainy days.

Thanks

2 |3000