question

seriusrod avatar image
seriusrod asked

Online updates do upgrade large images?

I'm currently using Venus v2.80 large. Today I saw that checking for updates returned an available version. But I didn't notice that the build didn't include "large".

1653410538972.png

The update brought several problems, so I booted the previous image. The result was that the node-red user data was all wiped. Now I'm thinking if that image was the large one.

1653410668227.png

Could that be the problem? Now the situation is more tricky, because if I now try to install the large image from the repo I'll loose the old good v2.80.

Venus OS
1653410538972.png (54.6 KiB)
1653410668227.png (51.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jeroen avatar image
jeroen answered Ā·

The update moves files from /data/home/root/.node-red/ to /data/home/nodered/.node-red/. If you move that directory back and chown -R root:root all will be back as it used to be.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

Hi, this was discussed in detail elsewhere, so in short for anyone else reading this:

1) yes, online updates now available for venus os large. finally.

2) the location on disk where the flows are stored has changed. and when updating the files are moved there automatically. More information here: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/378#issuecomment-1119033201, see "Careful: .."

best regards, Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

seriusrod avatar image seriusrod commented Ā·

Thanks Matthijs,
Just one question, the second screen capture in my former post shows the new version without the "large" suffix in the build. That made me doubt if I installed the right version. Is obvious that the installed version is large because it has node-red.
It's that normal from now on and regular version and large would be integrated?

As a suggestion, the ā€œmigrationā€ script should not move the .node-red folder, but copy it. That way the old version should still work and dual boot should have sense. I understand that then the flows may be out of sync, if using both versions. But I think it's better for a fast backwards move.

Regards,
Sergio

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources