question

serenity avatar image
serenity asked

MPPT's and Cerbo GX Connectivity

I have six (6) Victron MPPT Solar Controllers. I want to connect all six to the Cerbo GX but there are a limited number of ports. Is it possible to connect all of the controllers via the VE.Can Bus or with the VE.Bus serially?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Serenity,

the easiest way is to expand the number of USB ports by using one of those USB hubs. They work just fine and are cheap to buy.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

serenity avatar image serenity commented ·
Thanks Stefanie. Let me make sure I fully understand. You are saying that I can combine all six USB outputs to a single OEM USB hub and then connect the hub directly to the Cerbo GX?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ serenity commented ·

Yes, that's possible.

The more elegant solution is to use the 3 available VE.Direct and at least one of the USB ports of the Cerbo GX with the MPPTs and then connect a USB hub to the remaining USB port. Then connect the other two MPPTs via VE.Direct to USB adapter.

You didn't say which of the MPPTs you have. If they are VE.Can, forget about the above and simply connect them daisy chained to the Cerbo GX VE.Can port. VE.Bus is something different and it's not possible to connect a MPPT via VE.Bus.

0 Likes 0 ·
serenity avatar image serenity Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

We have five (5) 100/30 and one (1) 100/50 SmartSolar Controllers. I currently monitor them using the Bluetooth app. We have two battery banks that combine into a single, presently charged by another OEM inverter charger. We are upgrading to a new Victron Multi-Plus II unit. I would like to connect all devices to the Cerbo GX including our existing three (3) BVM-712 monitors.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ serenity commented ·
The Cerbo GX supports "up to" 15 devices. I suggest reading the GX product range guide with more on that.
0 Likes 0 ·
serenity avatar image serenity Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Agree. Been digging into the docs for a few days. I became a bit confused and hence the need to create a profile and get some expert opinions. Thank you for your answers!
0 Likes 0 ·
You're welcome! Good luck with your installation.
0 Likes 0 ·