question

frnz avatar image
frnz asked

What happens to data if a Cerbo GX is powered on once a day for an hour?

I have just added a Cerbo GX to my system that is used to power an IP camera in a solar set-up. I have a SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 charge controller, a 65 W panel and a 100 Ah 12V LiFePO4 battery (non-Victron). The load output on the charge controller powers a Teltonika RUT240 modem/router 24/7 and a Shelly Plus 1 smart switch which powers up the POE switch for the IP camera according to a schedule. The Cerbo GX is currently powered directly from the load output of the charge controller; it is giving useful information and I want it to be able to inform me if I can run the camera for longer in a day depending on the state of the battery. It is consuming about 3W as expected. Days are very short in the southern hemisphere just now and I am considering putting the Cerbo GX behind the switch or its own new one and running it for say an hour a day. Does anyone know what type of information it can pull from the charge controller and give to me during that hour, and what data will be available via the VRM portal when the Cerbo is powered down? Will I get a summary from the time it was previously powered up, or will data be lost while the Cerbo is powered off? The site is remote and people can get there for on-site modifications only once a month. Thank you.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@FRNZ

The Cerbo will only capture data if it is powered up and connected to the other devices. It also can only transmit data if it is powered up and connected to the internet, so it generally needs to be on 24/7.

It can be offline for several days and store data if it is on and recording it then transmitt on next connection. So it will fill in the no internet times. But if it is off, then you will have data blanks/gaps.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frnz avatar image frnz commented ·
Thank you Alexandra. As I suspected. I may try the one-hour-on option anyway, say at 4PM each day when the battery is likely to have its highest state of charge, and see if the info that is captured is enough for me. Ha, ha, will be using almost none of the capability of the Cerbo.
0 Likes 0 ·