question

Stephan Doiron avatar image
Stephan Doiron asked

Need more watts, Orion DC-DC Charger to EcoFlow Delta Max

Have installed a 12/12 30 Victron Orion isolated DC-DC charger connected to a Delta Max. When I plug the Delta into lighter socket from a Toyota Sienna minivan I get about 99watts charge. When I charge via the Orion, I only manage about 10 more watts at about 111watts. That's a far cry from the 360 watts I thought I would be getting. I did notice that sometimes it will go up to about 165watts for a second or two before resetting back to about 100watts again.

I'm hoping changing some settings in the app can help and looking for advice, tips, thoughts and suggestions please.

Thanks for your time!

battery chargingchargerorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Stephan Doiron

I went for a look to see what that device was. In the specs I see this.. 1653144435312.png8A!! Maybe wind up the Orion to max volts?

1653144435312.png (11.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mdsd77 avatar image
mdsd77 answered ·

I have been researching a dc to dc charger as well - just seeing if you have come up with a solution to get more wattage to the ecoflow ?

And a question, can’t one wire the output from a DCtoDC charger to a XT60 plug then plug that into the ecoflow? That would allow a higher input would it not?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Depends. Cabling to cigarette lighter sockets is not necessarily able to carry high currents for long periods. Better to put in a dedicated fused circuit.

If more power is needed than a single Orion can deliver, two can be wired in parallel, so long as the alternator and wiring are suitable.

0 Likes 0 ·
matthew-houston avatar image
matthew-houston answered ·

Not sure if this has been answered but the general consensus is to use the Solar Input sing an XT60i specific connector. It should essentially 'trick' the delta into thinking it is a Solar array and allow for higher charging rates.

This would need some sort of DC-DC converter to ensure that the power delivery is under the max rated load, bumping the voltage and lowering the current.

2 |3000