question

Keith Arnold avatar image
Keith Arnold asked

Active SOC jumped 20% in one day?

Active SOC jumped up 20 % in a day, why? Min soc is set 60 %, active soc has been 60 % for last 6 days but active soc jumped to 80% on 7 th day.

0752bbcf-7bce-4e06-9edc-40217c55b111.png

SOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Keith Arnold

The behaviour has something to do with a feature called battery life. More on it here.

Switch from optimized with battery life to without battery life.

The active SOC with battery life is usually raised by about 5% everyday if it is not keeping up with solar.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
Ah that would make sense. Would I be correct in say then that without batterylife it maintains a minimum SoC to keep the batteries over the minimum SoC, whereas with batterylife makes sure the batteries hit a full charge once a week and it adjusts the active SoC to make sure that happens?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Jason - UK commented ·
@Jason - UK

Without battery life, it would just run loads and if there is leftover it will charge the batteries. So you may or may not get a full charge.

The only other setting that affects things is the sustain in ess. So that can change the behaviour if the solar is really bad for a few days.

To be honest I have never run a system for long enough to see the long term effects of the setting as most of the systems installed are for grid blackout purpose, so most want to start as full as possible.

I do know one or two things though about not getting a full charge. With most lithiums you do need a full charge at least once a week if cycling, since most top balance only.

And if lead acid (not too many of these these days) a full charge everytime they are discharged.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK Jason - UK commented ·
@Alexandra thanks for the advice. I'm running my Lithium batteries hard each day but with such a large PV array and little base load, my batteries get a full charge nearly every day even when its cloudy which why I've not really noticed any issues with SoC charge even with Batteylife off & minimum Soc off. Having both has allowed me to utilise the solar energy I generate better. @Keith Arnold what battery type do you have?
0 Likes 0 ·
Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·
Yes “With battery life” adjusts the active soc up or down 5 % per day depending on how well charging went. Low limit would be you minimum set point. In this case it jumped 20 % an don’t know why.
0 Likes 0 ·
Keith Arnold avatar image Keith Arnold commented ·
Battery life adjusts the active soc by 5% per day, if necessary, I’m wondering why it adjusted it by 20%?
0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

Mine did the same when I was using active SoC, which was annoying as my unit then charged more than I felt it should from the grid and therefore used less solar PV energy the following day. I'm hoping some one will comment of this post with more information of how the algorithm works on calculating active SoC. I've read the Victron documents on the subject but it doesn't quite tally up with how my system was operating of Active SoC so I stopped using Active Soc on my ESS and have also now turned off scheduled charging. Still early days on how my system will overall perform but I will be following this post to see what comments others have on it to hopefully give myself also a better understanding of Active SoC.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
On a side note, turning off active SoC and scheduled charge, and relying on solar to charge by batteries has brought my grid consumption down to near zero. The proof in the pudding will be when winter comes but by then I should have added another 2 batteries to my set up way before then giving me 24-36h cover in the winter.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
Did you check if the Active Minimum SOC was actually 80%?

Maybe the battery discharge was stopped by some other factor.

What battery do you have?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic