question

sky avatar image
sky asked

How can I check the capacity status of my Peak Power Pack full /half or empty?

I have the 40Ah version and the Bluetooth Dongle. But there are no informations About the state of charge.

SOCPeak Power Pack
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello,

Unfortunate that is correct, as there are multiple way of charging this SOC calculation is hard to do.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

afoeder avatar image afoeder commented ·
Hi @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) , there seems to be quite a demand to have that information. The PPP has two means of charging, and two means of discharging. Would a combination of two Smart Shunts allow for the respective information? I really would like to have your (Victron's) engineers to provide a cookbook solution for this. Eventually it means you'll sell more devices :-) I sure as heck will buy whatever is needed.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image
mike4nl answered ·

Only way i would use is the Smart Shunt or the BMV-712.
But the Smart Shunt is not so pricy. A bit cheaper around 50 Euro.

5 comments
2 |3000

afoeder avatar image afoeder commented ·
Hi @mike4nl , as I've also commented to the other post, the PPP has two ways of charging and two ways of discharging. I assume one SmartShunt would not work anyways, but might two do the trick?
0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image mike4nl afoeder commented ·

Hi @afoeder

I will answer your question tomorrow. I have some images from the inside of my PPP. It is the 8Ah version but the inside is all the same, i'm missingsome MOSFET's for the domestic output only.

- The both charging ports (charger & solar) are not the best place for the Smart Sunt.
- The both outputs (main & domestic) also not the right place to connect a smart shunt.
- Because based on the connection (load or charge) you don't see the load and/or charge current and voltage.

In the or better on the images i will show you the Minus (ground, 0 Volt) where you could connect the smart shunt.

Important question is how old is your PPP?
It is older then two years?
No we can't doanything because you are still on guaranty.
Yes,older, then you can do it. ;-)

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)
I know that what i willshow is possible not the right way but it works now for one year in a boat.

0 Likes 0 ·
afoeder avatar image afoeder mike4nl commented ·
Hey @mike4nl , thank you, I am excitedly awaiting your images :) My PPP is brand new, but I still am interested in what your solution looks like.
0 Likes 0 ·
mike4nl avatar image mike4nl afoeder commented ·

@afoeder

First Of All it will be a longer concersation/text.
- Whenever You Change Something In The PPP,
It Is Yours And Only Your Responsablelity ONLY !
- Not Mine And Not Victron's !

Two Images:
1st - The accu part
2nd - The electronic print depending on your version.
3rd - Mine version is:T00-PPP2_V1.2. You can find this under the Plus + Accu connector (left,bottom)

1st Image:
- It shows the part with the accu's. Mine is the 8Ah version and the accus are orange/red. Yours must be blue for the 20, 30 or 40Ah version.
- If you need the links for the accus please ask.
- Some text in that image shows what you need to know.

2nd Image:
- In that image i marked the dommestic part output in yellow which the 8Ah version don't have (orginal ;-) ).
- Bottom left and right you see the mounting and the both screws to connect PLUS & MINUS to the print.

What is possible to do?
- We all know that the SmartShunt has to be connected to the Accu and Load MINUS for the right function. See the manual.

How to get that working?
- Easy Pease Lemon Cheasy, when i had done it.
- Badly i did not find back any image of my changes.
- MINUS is bottom right. But always meassure it !
- Remove the screw which connects the accu MINUS to the print. There is the typical connection for a shunt i mean were it has to be.
- I bent the Accu MINUS down so that i could connect a 10mm2 black solar cable and marked it ACCU. Screw and nut typical use to hold it.
- Then i used a 10mm2 black solar cable marked it LOAD and connected it to the MINUS on the print.
- Then i isolated both connection from each other with some copperfree print material what i had laying around.
- Then first i connected the LOAD side to the SmartShunt and then the ACCU side to the SmartShunt.

Forgot it sorry.
- I made two bigger holes and a smaller one in the top housing and then i draw the cables through and mounted the SmartShunt on the top of the housing.
- Next was to connect the PLUS from the SmartShunt to the PLUS pole connector on the print. The SmartShunt needs it to work at all. See the manual for the SmartShunt. I used the 500A/50mV version.
- And i put an On/Off switch in that line so that the SmartShunt is not always running when i don't need power and/or charge it. But don't forget it to switchit on when needed. I have done it because the PPP is not always used

- The Bluetooth from the SmartShunt is a good helper to see whats going on.
-So as i wrote i can't find back the images for what i have done. But next time i open it i will do some.
- BTW: that all is running now for more then a year without any trouble.

At The Near End
-> This is NOT provided by VICTRON !
-> This is a DiY solution.
-> You do this at YOUR OWN RISK and money.

I could not upload the both images. Everytime i got an error - something went wrong. So i used my mega account to upload them.They will be opend in a new tab.

Image 1

Image 2

0 Likes 0 ·
afoeder avatar image afoeder mike4nl commented ·
perfect, I get it — thank you a lot for the detailed information! Finally some info. So the basic gist is to disconnect the current route and insert the shunt — makes sense, simple as that.

Thank you!!

0 Likes 0 ·
noahrobertson avatar image
noahrobertson answered ·

You have research or consult the manufacturer for a voltage-to-SOC chart specific to your battery type (lead-acid, lithium-ion, etc.). This chart helps estimate SOC based on voltage. And use the Bluetooth dongle and the manufacturer's app to read the current voltage of the battery. Compare it with the voltage-to-SOC chart to estimate the SOC.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic