question

rolandp avatar image
rolandp asked

extending the functionality of the ESS system

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a suggestion for extending the functionality of the ESS system: besides the settings - optimized with Battery-Life; - optimized without battery life; - keep the battery charged; - External control; In my opinion, an additional operating mode makes sense "keep priority battery via solar in the charged state + provide additional solar energy to the AC-Out available."
Thus, the battery no longer bogs for days in the weak state of charge around and the existing solar power can be supplied to the consumers after battery charging to 100% and thus be used.
At night, the battery is left unused, the consumers are supplied via the mains; During the day, the battery is first refilled and then the consumers are proportionally operated to the grid with solar power.

I would be pleased if you can check this variant and wish you a nice day!

Roland P

SOC
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

When will the battery be used in this scenario? the way you describe it it sounds like it is always charged.

1 Like 1 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ boekel ♦ commented ·

This is how I understand this too.
"In the day the batteris first refilled", but "At night, the battery is left unused", so when is the battery used except for grid outage? At what point are you using the battery in order for it to be re-filled? Seems like keep batteries charged is the option you want?

0 Likes 0 ·
rolandp avatar image rolandp wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, right, the batteries should remain charged for the power failure, I have lead acid batteries

0 Likes 0 ·
rolandp avatar image rolandp rolandp commented ·

With a relatively small solar system, I could use this mode of operation the few solar power in the house and extend the battery life if the batteries are kept at SOC 100%

0 Likes 0 ·
rolandp avatar image rolandp boekel ♦ commented ·

With a relatively small solar system, I could use this mode of operation the few solar power in the house and extend the battery life if the batteries are kept at SOC 100%

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ rolandp commented ·

Keep batteries charged is the setting that keeps the batteries at 100%. Then PV energy goes to AC-OUT.

0 Likes 0 ·

I did not know, I just noticed that the batteries are then charged via mains. And then he PV energy goes into the grid?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello! I have tested your suggestion: the system still does not use any PV energy for charging or for the AC-Out after SOC 100% ...

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ rolandp commented ·

OK, you can try this. Choose "Optimised with Battery Life" then set minimum SOC to 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mihair avatar image
mihair answered ·

Not a good idea for LFP batteries. 100% SOC for extended period of time is detrimental to battery life. In fact, sitting at any SOC value over 80% could harm an unused LiFePO4 battery

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rolandp avatar image
rolandp answered ·

I have lead acid batteries! And I think the idea is not so bad: With a relatively small solar system, I could use this mode with the few solar power in the house and extend the battery life if the batteries are kept at SOC 100%

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic