question

nebulight avatar image
nebulight asked

Alternate to GX GSM in the United States?

I'm getting my Venus Pi setup and I'm curious to know if anyone in the US has the GX GSM or a suggestion for another option? Since its 3G, a lot of carriers are turning down their 3g (Verzion though not GSM at the end of 2019, ATT 2021, T-Mobile 2020). It's attractive as it's a GSM and GPS in one unit as my Pi has 4 USB ports and 3 are taken (BMV, MPPT and Multi). I know I can add a hub, but just trying to simplify things. However it may have a limited lifespan in the US. Any other cell/GPS in one units that work with Venus?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, you might find that some 4G dongles work; since they emulate being a USB-Ethernet device, rather than a modem.

Another solution, more professional, is to use a cellular router; ie a 4G router. Make sure it has ethernet; to connect to the GX device. Not just wifi.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

That's the plan. I have ordered this:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB2120.aspx

Since it has two ethernet ports, I can hookup my laptop to SSH to the Pi if I need to without disconnecting the pi from the screen.

Only downside is I now have to buy a separate GPS module. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to have them both in one unit.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources