question

kanga1 avatar image
kanga1 asked

Charging lifepo batteries

Hi, we have 2x200amp hour Voltax LiFePo batteries wired in parallel for 12 volts to power our 4wd Canter camper truck habitat. We have an Enerdrive DC2DC e Power multi stage, multi source with MPPT charger, and a Victron BMV 712 Smart battery monitor.

The power sources are, the truck 24 volt alternator and 2 x 200 watt roof mounted solar panels.

Most mornings the Victron BMV app will tell me that the SOC is 88-92% I can check it again 10 minutes later and it will be showing 100% charged which i don't believe is possible. Can anyone help solving this issue?

BMV Battery MonitorSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

You may have the 100% SOC synchronisation point triggering too early by having the "Charged voltage" set a little low?

If so you could experiment a little upwards.

Our 4 cell 300Ah LiFePO4 battery is set at 14.0V. It is always full at 14.1V.

I suspect the settings on your BMV 712 are very similar to our Victron SmartShunt.

screenshot-20220514-155635.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kanga1 avatar image kanga1 commented ·
Thanks for you for your reply. The volts readout on the actual batteries seems to max out at 13.4 when showing 100% but is often around 13.31V. I have set the charged volt value at 13.3, can't do 14 like you. The tail current was 4% but I have changed this to .5%, I'll have to read up on my charger.
0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image Nev kanga1 commented ·

Are you using the VictronConnect app to adjust your BMV 712 settings?

If so you must be able to tweak the "Charged voltage" setting.

13.xV is far to low.

I just checked your BMV in VictronConnect using simulation mode.

Cog at top right > Battery > Charged voltage >

I would try 14.1V.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page