question

panema avatar image
panema asked

Marine Electronics System Design & Installation Help / Periodic Resource

Hi Folks,

Long time listener first time caller... : ) Have been lurking here for the last year plus and thanks for the support and community here.

I bought and live aboard a 37ft sailboat as of a year and a half ago. Have been doing projects and making upgrades in anticipation of cruising the boat long term / off grid. I've grown increasingly interested in electrical systems, have already made some upgrades to the boat here including a Multiplus II and some other upgrades and reconfigurations, and really I'm really eager to continue to gain more competency here.

I've learned a lot so far, but I consistently find myself up against knowledge gaps - especially with electrical - that end up burning way too much time and way too much energy spinning my wheels reading manuals and haphazardly trudging through misc online resources to try and answer questions and decision make toward a clear path forward... often ending up without clear answers or a path forward.

As of this winter my existing AGM batteries are toast. I need to make some moves here in the near term as I'm moving back aboard ASAP and getting the boat back in the water. I'm leaning toward a move to LifePo4 house bank and the requisite system upgrades to build, charge, operate, and maintain the system safely and efficiently. I'm making progress on my own - I think - putting info for system design together but have again found myself wasting too way too much time on questions that I'm sure are quite simple for the right person.

Is there a qualified marine electrician or marine electrical company out there familiar with Victron products than can provide periodic consultation services while I design and build my system?

I'm more than happy to pay for this, it would save me so much time and give me so much more confidence. I'm enjoying the research, diagramming, and learning thats coming with this and am trying to be as thorough and organized as possible - but I'm painfully aware that I need some expert advice to move this forward safely and confidently.

System currently includes: 30A shore power, 3.5kw Generator, Multiplus II 12/3000/120, Victron BMV, 2 - 30A Blue Sea Distribution Panels, Blue Sea DC Distribution Panel, 420 Ah of (toasted) AGM batteries split between house / start, 1500W Lofrans Windlass, Raymarine Instruments, Refrigeration / Compressor, Misc other DC consumers.

Upgrades I have and are not installed, or plan to buy install: LifePO4 Cells, REC or Orion Jr BMS, Tyco Contactors / Disconnectors, Victron Orion DC >> DC Charger, 400W - 600W of PV Array, Victron MPPT Controllers, Balmar Alternator, Balmar or Wakespeed Alternator Regulator, Galvanic Isolator, 30A Blue Sea ELCI.

If there are existing resources out there you can recommend, please do. If you're an individual out there that might be the right fit to help guide me through this I'd love to connect and try to figure out a way to work together toward designing and me executing on this.

Cheers,

// Phil

installationsystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic