question

t0mills avatar image
t0mills asked

Shunt for Venus?

Have the MPPT 100/50 and the VenusGX in my small rv trailer. I would like to be able to monitor current coming in/out of the battery bank. I know that I need a shunt to do this properly.
Looks like the BMV-712 will do just what I'm needing, but I really have no use for it's separate display gauge. And no good place to put it.

Is there any other way to do this? If I decide to just buy the 712 and zip tie the gauge somewhere out of the way/hidden, can I still view all of it's info via VenusGX?

Thanks

BMV Battery MonitorVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Yes this will work fine & is the most cost effective option. The BMV-712 also has Bluetooth connectivity which will allow you to easily setup everything without accessing the main BMV unit.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

t0mills avatar image t0mills commented ·

So I just buy the BMV-712, and hide it's gauge/display somewhere, and I can remotely view everything from the VenusGX?

I know the Venus doesn't have bluetooth, but my MPPT 100/50 does. For the MPPT, I had to run the 30m direct cable from the Venus in order to see it.
Can the 712 bluetooth to the MPPT and be visible on the network that way?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B t0mills commented ·

The BMV 712 is visible on the CCGX by using a VE direct cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ t0mills commented ·

No, the only way to connect the BMV-712 to the VenusGX is via a VE Direct cable.

But you can create a VE Smart Network & Bluetooth link the BMV to the MPPT so that the voltage & temperature as measured by the BMV is used for optimised charging.

0 Likes 0 ·