question

ted-mandogbus avatar image
ted-mandogbus asked

Need help with choosing the best setup (Skoolie)

I looked through the website and could not find any suitable answers. Perhaps my questions are too nuanced and would be better elsewhere. Thanks for your patience, time, and effort!

• I am in the process of converting a small school bus into an RV.
  • I want to power as much as I can from solar.
  • I don't want the option to charge my batteries from my engine.
  • I've used a few calculators online and they suggest 1000-1400w of solar panels.
  • 1000w of panels seems reasonable.
  • I'm going to use Lithium batteries

screenshot-2022-04-29-224931.jpg

Power Audit table from explorist.life

I have been looking into either 2-4 these batteries ((Enduro LiFePO4 12.8V / 300Ah / 3840Wh))
As I understand it, a 24v might be best for me, in which case I could run 2 sets of 2 batteries in series to achieve "24v" (25.6v) batteries with 600 AH in total

I only have ~18' of roof available, and I'd like some of that space to be used as a roof deck. Thus I've been looking into larger solar panels and using 3 or 4 of them, such as 3 of these panels, or something like it, would work well, as far as I can tell.

Watts (STC) 360 W
Max Power Voltage (VMPP) 34.31 V
Max Power Current (IMPP) 10.49 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 41.18 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC) 11.04 A
Max System Voltage (UL) DC 1000 V

Solar panel table from above link

I have heard that large solar panels have high volts, therefor, could be easier to integrate into or might require a 24v or 48v system

I have been looking at using the victron easy solar or a larger version of easy solar

Q#1 If I am using 3 of these panels, will these work well in a 12v system, or should I make a 24 or 48v system? Do you suggest against large panels?

Q#2 Assuming going with your suggestion from above, what battery configuration would work best?

Q#3 With your suggestions above in mind and my preferences above, which Victron pieces will work best for my needs? Where possible, I would prefer a piece of the system that could accommodate more solar panels and/or batteries later as my needs change.

Please let me know if I have to use specific size panels, a particular type of charge controller, charger, etc

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I think you are being a bit optimistic regarding how much energy your 1000w array can harvest.

410ah @ 13v 5.330kwh. Add in 15% losses and your looking at about 6kwh a day.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I would use the largest solar panels I could find. If installing Lithium I would also use 24 volt batteries and I would not series 2 x 12 volt batteries to achieve 24 volts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your Easysolar links don't work for me, but check which mppt is inside the ones you're considering. Needs to be able to handle the panels as well as deliver the battery charge current. It's another good reason to go for 24V battery as it halves the currents involved. No need to go for higher voltage panels, you need Voc to be 5V higher than actual at the battery for charging to start. The panels mentioned have that.

From a practical point of view, the fewer components the better. Much less work to install, cable and maintain.

Bear in mind that with a 24V system, you need a reasonable DC:DC converter. The non smart orions are good for this.

Choose panels according to roof dimensions, mounting points and intended layout. And.... legal requirements. I learnt the hard way that panels going outside the roof dimensions are not considered legal here.

2 |3000