question

Charles McCane avatar image
Charles McCane asked

Battery Protect will not disconnect power

I have a BP 220 connected exactly as shown in the included schematic. It will not disconnect its poles for any reason under any circumstances ever. I sent the defective unit back and rec’d another one, same exact thing. Is this an exercise in complicating what should be simple?

Battery Protect
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Take a photo of the document and your installation, and post them here.
0 Likes 0 ·
Charles McCane avatar image Charles McCane klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

See SBP product pdf https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Smart-Battery-Protect-65-A--100-A--220-A-EN-.pdf

My built-as is identical to the diagram at the bottom. The load is a Renogy 3000W PSW inverter. It stays on, always, regardless of the load switch position in VictronConnect. At this point I don‘t believe SBP is capable of interrupting the load. Even with the manual switch block removed, the load is uninterrupted. I waited over 2 mins but no disconnect. The failure mode is particularly bad as VictronConnect shows the load as disconnected and reports no error.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Charles McCane commented ·

You should probably read the SBP manual, as well.

4. The short circuit protection of the SBP will be activated if you try to directly connect loads with capacitors on their input (eg inverters)

0 Likes 0 ·
Charles McCane avatar image Charles McCane klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Please submit as a bug report, even if it’s in the manual. Virtually all loads have capacitors. If that statement were true, it would nullify the primary use case that marketing used to get funding to build the SBP. Mistakes happen. Withdraw the product.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Brad Carpenter avatar image
Brad Carpenter answered ·

I unfortunately see the same problem where the Battery Protect 65 when turned "off" by the remote switch does not turn off the Inverter using the Remote line.

I have the inverter powered on as detailed in the BP 65 manual section 3.2 (right picture). I've measured the output Voltage of the Battery Protect at ~2V when the Battery Protect is switched "off" from 24V, but 2V on the remote line is enough to keep the Victron inverter powered on. When I disconnect the Remote line from the Battery Protect, then the Inverter finally shuts off. But when I reconnect the Remote line to the "off" Battery Protect, the Inverter turns back on. This is a MAJOR safety issue.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Try to add a pull-down resistor from the remote wire to ground to pull the 2V to 0V.
0 Likes 0 ·
Brad Carpenter avatar image Brad Carpenter Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I was thinking about adding a pull down resistor (I have on laying around somewhere), but haven't tested it yet. Adding a pull down resistor should be detailed in the schematic if it's required, shouldn't it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brad Carpenter avatar image Brad Carpenter Brad Carpenter commented ·
I had a 5kOhm pull down resistor laying around from a power supply, which did pull the voltage down from 2 V to 1.4 V. I connected the resistor from the Vout on the BP to a negative terminal. which turned off the inverter in about 3-5 seconds. Removing the resistor turned the inverter back on in about 3-5 seconds.
0 Likes 0 ·
christianf250 avatar image
christianf250 answered ·

Hi / Bonjour

it will possible to add a little schematic (or picture) for really understand how to plug the resistor and how many watt the resistor need to be.

Regards

2 |3000