question

mattguy avatar image
mattguy asked

Isolation Transformed sounds like bad dubstep when using my heat gun

I have a 3600 watt isolation tranformer that makes the strangest sounds when using my dewalt heatgun ~1500watts. I've had no issues with othe, higher loads, such as a heater and dehumidifier running on high ~2.2 KW total.

Adding to this, I just got the multiplus 3000/120/50 set up last night and it was able to handle the above loads fine as well when inverting, but not the heat gun. The ac power draw went up to 1200W then the multi started making similar sounds as the isolation tranformer and the power was cut to about 400 watts, then the dc lights started flickering (ripple?).

I'm ready to just get a new heat gun and call it good, but wanted to know your thoughts on what's causing this.

Video of the isolation transformer with no error putting on a concert. It is as loud as the video makes it seem.

multiplus ve.busIsolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Was the heatgun on low power or full power. Quite a few appliances like this put a diode in circuit for low power and only take power for half of the ac cycle which can cause noise problems and issues with inverters because they can not handle the half wave consumption. The classic item that causes this are coffee machines like nesspresso and there are several threads on this subject, search the dite for coffee machine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Also triac controllers in the guns.

Best not use it.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattguy avatar image
mattguy answered ·

The heat gun has a dial and it did go away at full power, but full power is way too high. I'm glad to have an answer and not faulty equipment. Any damage possible from the noise?

Thanks for the help!

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Probably not, but if you keep on using it...
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic