question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Add PowerAssist spec to the data sheets and manuals for all inverter/chargers

I have changed the title of this question. I believe the issue is the documentation but need this verified by Victron engineers.

Looking at the 120 volt Quatro manual, it states the the maximum power assist is 5 KVA or 42 amps. The 230 volt Quatro manual states different power assist maximums for each model.

Obviously, 5 KVA of assist on the 3000 VA Quatro is not correct and should be 3 KVA.

Is the same true for the 10000 VA Quatro: max PowerAssist of 82 amps?

PowerAssist is usually described as the AC input current limit plus the inverter's maximum output. So for a 10000 VA Quatro set for maximum input current that would be 184 amps. Is this the correct number?

I can see there may be other limits in the design that might reduce this such as circuit board traces or output connectors.

Interestingly, the maximum output current or power is not specified on any models I looked at.

AC 2 out has a limit of 100A due to the relay in that path but AC 1 has no relay

Is the AC-out-1 maximum current always the sum of the input current and the maximum continuous power divided by the system AC voltage?

OR is there some limit in the circuitry that limits the output current to a lower value?

I have found other inconsistencies in the manuals in the AC-out-1 section where the output breaker and wire sizing is discussed. For example, the manual for the 120 volt Multiplus 3000 VA unit calculates the maximum output current based on a 230 volt AC voltage not 120 volts.

I would like to see a "Maximum AC 1 output current" and "Maximum AC 2 output current" specs added to the data sheet and anywhere else the specs are tabulated. I would also suggest Victron update the AC-out-1 discussion to make it more clear what these values will be for each model.

Also, the manuals for all 120 volt models should be reviewed to make sure a 120 volt AC system voltage, not 230 volts is mentioned everywhere.

powerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

AC 2 out has a limit of 100A due to the relay in that path but AC 1 has no relay so ????

Pretty sure that power flowing out of AC1 goes through the AC input relay. That would be the current limit.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

The 100 amp input current limit does not account for any additional power the inverter adds to this and can be present at the AC 1 output. That's the number I'm interested in.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic