question

drizzt321 avatar image
drizzt321 asked

Any smaller inverter/charger than 2Kva for 120v AC?

I'm in the US, so need 120v, but don't need something the size of the 2K VA MultiPass for 120v. You make a 500/800/1200 VA for 230V, but don't see any in that size range for 120v. Or am I just missing the correct model number? Or do I just need to look elsewhere for an appropriately sized pure-sine wave inverter or inverter/charger other than from Victron?

And is there any way to limited the inverter side to keep the max draw from hitting up against the max my batter can handle? I currently have 1 100Ah LiFePO4 with max rating of 100A draw (short bursts up to 150A I think it can do). I might eventually get a 2nd 100Ah, but that's not in the plan for quite some time.

I generally don't need a lot of 120v AC, virtually all of my stuff is 12v, but there are times I need 300-400W available and a single integrated charger/inverter (for shore power + when I need some AC off-grid) would be quite useful, rather than separate charger and inverter.

As per this answer, if I were to simply just "know" and limit my AC output, this particular MultiPlus 2K VA one is the latest version and the one I'd want, right?

Otherwise for inverter only (with separate charger), it looks like Victronly 120v AC inverters are limited to the Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct, and seems like the 12/500 or 12/800 would be the one I want.

Multiplus-IIPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

For better or worse, this is exactly how we wound up with a 2kVA inverter/charger on our 27 foot sailboat. It's massive overkill, but it's also the smallest 120V inverter/charger that victron makes. The problem with separate units (which we also looked into) is none of the chargers integrate into the victron ecosystem. We have a DIY battery with a BMS that talks to our Cerbo, so having something that integrates to match the battery's requirements was critical to us.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

We have a DIY battery with a BMS that talks to our Cerbo

Please expand on this, Cheers S.

0 Likes 0 ·