question

yobbo avatar image
yobbo asked

Solar MPPT Float and Absorb voltage settings on shore power

On my boat I have a 12v 500ah lifepo4 battery bank, When plugged into shore power the 60a 240v AC charger is set to 13.4v float and 14.4v absorb, I also have 2 x MPPT smart solar controllers connected to 2 separate panels 415w and 140w and the controllers are also set to 13.4v float and 14.4v absorb.

When my battery is in float mode at 13.4v from being on shore power I find that when the sun is feeding panels in the morning daylight the MPPT controllers go into absorb mode raising the voltage to 14.4v for a few hours then back into float mode of 13.4v for the rest of the day.

My question is should I set both the float and absorb voltages to 13.4v on the MPPT controllers?

The AC shore power at the marina is unreliable and is often tripped so I rely on solar as a back up

MPPT Controllersshorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The MPPT will switch on and go straight to absorption as you are experiencing. You can reduce the absorption period in the settings. Probably not a good idea to reduce absorption voltage that far. I take it that lithium is set as battery type.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic