question

lederhos avatar image
lederhos asked

BMV-712 No Temp Reading

Hi, the temperature sensor is not resulting in temp reading in the BMV-712. I have replaced the temperature sensor with a new one with same result. The 712 powers and configures fine, but the temp shows "--". When I change it to Mid Point the setting reads a deviation of 99.50% and throws an alarm which I think makes sense and when set to Starter battery it shows 0.03V. This is the case for either temp sensor. Thoughts on how to rule out the shunt or the BMV-712? Thanks!

BMV Battery MonitorTemperature Sensor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solgato avatar image solgato commented ·

Did it work before and stop, or new install?

Just to confirm, you have the eye terminal of the temp sensor attached to the positive side of your battery bank, and you have the 712 configured: settings>misc>auxillery>temp?

Is it possible when you installed the wire into the quick catch/release terminal on the shunt that is folded back over, missed, or that something is jammed in there?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think it is the cable between the shunt and the BMV that is at fault.
It is possible that it has not crimped down propely on all the contacts and the B2 connectrion is not getting to the BMV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lederhos avatar image
lederhos answered ·

The sensor did work for a few days before stopping. Since trying a new sensor has the exact same effect, I think the issue has to be with the shunt or the BMV. I will check the B2 contact for obstruction tonight and reply, but if I don’t find anything, may see if I can purchase a new shunt separately before replacing the BMV. Thanks for the suggestions/insight!

4 comments
2 |3000

lederhos avatar image lederhos commented ·

I checked the B2 port for any obstruction. None found. Any ideas on where I can find a replacement circuit board for the shunt? Google has not been very helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
solgato avatar image solgato lederhos commented ·

I would check the Cat5 like cable between the shunt and BMV first as WKirby suggested.

Don’t know if it’s a standard type you could easily source for troubleshooting. The contacts are very small on those types of cables and they really aren’t that great when exposed to weather.

And since it worked before, stopped, then still didn’t work after replacing the temp sensor, and your BMV is getting power, it’s the next logical thing to check before replacing the shunt or BMV.

0 Likes 0 ·
lederhos avatar image lederhos solgato commented ·

Good idea! It may be a couple of days before I can get to the BMV to try an alternate cable. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
lederhos avatar image lederhos solgato commented ·

It was the data cable! I cut off one end and replaced it with a new modular plug and temp is now registering. Thanks for the assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources