question

jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 asked

SOC charge not showing on Venus GX - Advanced page

Hi we have a Venus GX, 20 x Pylontech US200B Plus Batteries, Lynx Shunt and 3 x Quattro 48V 8000W Inverters.

The Inverters are connected in series to the VE Bus input on the Venus GX The Lynx Shunt is connected to one input of the VE CAN the other VE CAN port is connected to our Raymarine NEMA bus.

The Pylontech Batteries are connected via a Pylontech Hub CAN out to the CAN 2 input of the Venus GX.

The Pylontech Batteries are not showing up anywhere because of an obvious communications problem, (possible baud rate problems)we are try to sort this out with Pylontech.

The Batteries are being charged properly from the Inverters, which all are working properly.

It's just the State of charge problem which needs resolving because we want to start the Generator when the SOC gets to around 33%. Have set all this up on the Venus GX.

I just don't know how I get any indication/readings of the SOC on the VRM portal.

I have downloaded the Manual for Generator Auto Start/Stop on the CCGX and Venus GX.

So where do we go from here?

Regards

JeffM

YOT Club - VRM Portal.pdf

SOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

I think that you need to go into the settings & 'select' the desired 'battery monitor' source that you want to use.

Settings > System Setup > Battery Monitor > (select desired battery monitor option from the list)

It normally does this automatically, but sometimes it needs to be specified manually, particularly if you have had a different battery monitor source connected/used previously.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 answered ·

Thanks Mark

The battery monitior is set for Lynx Shunt 1000A VE.Can on VE.Can and the Lynx Shunt is connected to the VE.Can Port on the Venus GX.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

No problem.

But do you mean that it's set/connected & working now, or is it still not working?

Have you got the VE. Can terminators plugged in?

0 Likes 0 ·
jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 answered ·

No It's Not working, but I will have to Check and see if the VE.Can terminator is still in.

Doses the terminator have to be in the second VE.Can Port , if it does this is Occupied with feed to the NEMA 2000Addapter that feeds into the Raymarine Network and there should be a terminator in it.

Both of the VE.Can ports on the Venus GX are being used

Do you know if the second RJ 45 empty port on the Lynx Shunt 1000 has to have a Terminator in It.

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes basically every port without a cable running to another device must have a terminator plug in it.

0 Likes 0 ·
jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 answered ·

Hi Mark

Thank your for help.

I have now attached a coupleof .pdf files of how syetem is set up.

Please have a look at it and tell me if there is anything missing.

Cheers

Jeff

Drawing No. 1.3 - Rev. 4 - 48 V Battery Connection Diagram for YOT Club - 12 - 01 - 2019.pdfDrawing No. 1.9 - Rev. 6 - Victron Control & Interfacing System - 15 -03-2019.pdf

2 |3000

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Based on the pdf layout files you attached, I now see that you have a very complex/serious system - looks like you brought the whole Victron shop... :-)

If someone else designed/installed this for you, I think that it would be best to consult them or a Victron dealer, as I have not setup something like this myself & have limited experience with CAN.

In saying that, these are my thoughts/recommendations;

1- You do NOT use a RJ45 terminator for VE.Bus connections, just VE.Can, so do NOT install one on the last Quattro (I see a terminator shown on your layout diagram)

2- Add a RJ45 terminator to the 2nd VE.Can port on your Lynx shunt

3- The 'VE.Bus to NMEA2000 Interface' needs to be connected to a VE.Bus port - NOT VE.Can & it does NOT need a terminator (I see a terminator shown on your layout diagram)

4- Add a RJ45 terminator to the 2nd/free VE.Can port on the Venus GX

5- I have NO experience with the direct 'CAN 2' connection you have shown going to your batteries/BMS

2 |3000

jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 answered ·

Thank you Mark

No I along my associate electrician and our Victron Agent desiged it all.

It's basically working but not as I wanted.

I will have the changes you suggested made and see where we go from there.

Cheers

Jeff

1 comment
2 |3000

Well done, it looks like it will be a very nice setup once the final few bugs are ironed out!

Do let us know how it goes after you implement the changes. They may well get you across the line.

You might also have to run a reset / system redetect on the VenusGX to get it to acknowledge any changes that were made.

0 Likes 0 ·
jkmeyer43 avatar image
jkmeyer43 answered ·

Many thanks Mark for your suggestions.

I will let you know how we go later this coming week.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic