question

vomund avatar image
vomund asked

Charge Controller Load Port Reverse Flow?

I have a 17' travel trailer. We use the battery only for some basics, mostly to pump shower water in the evening, run the fridge thermostat and sometimes to run the heater fan at night. I am adding a 100W ground solar panel and a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 controller. My thinking is to take the cables that currently connect to the trailer battery and connect that to the load of the new controller. Of course, the battery and panel will then connect to the controller. However, when I plug the trailer into shore power or the trailer is being towed, current is sent to the battery to charge it. With my proposed setup, the shore or tow power would need to enter the controller's load port and make its way then to the battery. Will that work? If not, do I need to instead have the trailer's current wiring hook up directly to the battery, thus bypassing the charge controller?

MPPT Controllersbattery connection
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your proposal is the normal set up.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic