question

michaeltenerife avatar image
michaeltenerife asked

Incoherence of Cerbo Battery charge

Hi everyone,

I just installed for the first time the Cerbo GX with mi Multiplus 48 3000 35, MPPT 150 -35 and pylontech 3,5kwh. ( I can't connect the MPPT yet as I am missing the VEdirect cable but I should have it soon. I connected the inverter to the left VE Bus port and the pylontech to the left BMS-Can port of the Cerbo and to the A-Can port of the battery and the blue terminator plug in the other BMS-Can port ).

I had to connect to the VRM portal as it seems the only way to be able to see the battery charge but to my surprise it says 78% charge although all 6 leds on the pylontech battery are on and the BMV700 it says 100%.

What is wrong here? Thank you

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Michaeltenerife

The Cerbo is probably using the SOC that the Pylontec is reporting. And your bmv has synced too early so is incorrect.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaeltenerife avatar image michaeltenerife commented ·

Thank you Alexandra, I have the impression that the SOC is coming from the inverter as I don't see the pylontech battery in the connected devices list. Also, if I disconnect the battery, the value keeps being the same. Is this normal? Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ michaeltenerife commented ·
First you should investigate why you don't see the battery in the device list.

The type A cable has one side labeled with VE.Can and the other side is labeled with BMS-Can.

VE.Can has to be connected to the Cerbo and BMS-Can to the battery (A/Can).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable#introduction

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ michaeltenerife commented ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#can-bus_wiring

@Michaeltenerife

Run through and set up according to the manual. What is the battery monitor set to on the cerbo?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

By default, the VE Can and BMS Can ports run at different baud rates. There may be other limitations on the BMS Can port. Matthias says connect to VE Can on Cerbo not BMS Can.

5 comments
2 |3000

I just tried that and no difference. Do I need to configure the VE Can port in a certain way in settings-services-VECAN : ?

Screenshot from 2022-04-15 10-25-41.png

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ michaeltenerife commented ·

Follow the guide provided above and it will work.

Very rarely, a bms gets stuck and needs a reset/power off to work, but start with:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ michaeltenerife commented ·
It needs to be set to 500kbit/s but it will still not work with a normal RJ45 cable or the Pylontech cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
I tried that and it don't get recognized either. It seems I have to get the spacial cable....
0 Likes 0 ·

Yes unfortunately you need that cable.

The reason is that the VE.Can has a special pin out since many years and the battery Can pin out is different.

The Can cable supplied with the Pylontech cable kit is not for Victron and therefore the pin out doesn't match.

0 Likes 0 ·