question

kuban-invertor avatar image
kuban-invertor asked

Cogeneration (gas generator) and ESS

Hello , experts!

There is a task to design a system in which there will be a Gas Generator, Grid and ESS.
The house has a rated load power of 138 kW. The electricity supplier (GRID) can provide no more than 80 kW. The remaining 58 kW will be added (upon load request) by the Gas Generator. They will work synchronously. The task is to install ESS between the load and Grid+Gen. The composition will include Quattro 15000 - 12 pcs. , Fronius Eco 27 - 1 pc. , Symo 15 - 2 pcs. , Cerbo GX, GX-Touch, Battery (LiFePO4) 100Ah48V - 22 pcs.

The ESS in this system should support the load during Generator warm-up, Daytime PV compensation, Start and stop Generators on event (overload power exceeding 80kW), Shutdown non-priority load in case of SOC<50%, Transmit data via MODBUS about the load on each phase, SOC.. on the Industrial controller.
During the winter, the generators will operate around the clock. Heating will be provided by them.

Do you think it is possible to implement such a system with Victron? What do I need to pay attention to? If I gave little information - I will answer. Any advice! Thank you!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSGeneratorModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Victron inverter/chargers do not allow the grid and generator to provide power at the same time. The cogeneration logic would need to be external to the Victron system. To the inverter/chargers, the generator and grid must look like a single entity and be connected to one of the AC inputs.

The fact that the AC source capacity will change would require the input current limit to be changed by an external control system. That is: 80 KW for grid only, 58 KW for generator only, 138 KW when both are providing power.

Load shedding is also not something that is part of the Victron system. However, it may be possible to use inverter/charger "assistants" to control the AC 2 output. Normally AC 2 out is active when the AC input is in use and off when AC input is not present. But an assistant can modify this behavior (I think).

Victron inverter/chargers will supply the load when AC input is not present or when the AC loads exceed the preset input current limit. The GX device also has excellent generator start/stop logic that can be based on battery SOC, AC loads, etc. This would need to feed into the cogeneration system which would then control the generator.

But with external control as indicated above, it should be possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.