question

michaeli avatar image
michaeli asked

Is it possible to emulate a victron device to use another brand inverter in the VRM?

Hello. I am wondering if there is a way to take data from a MPP Solar all-in-one inverter/charger and display the data in the Victron VRM? I recently purchased a Victron Smart shunt and am going to connect it to the raspi/vrm i just setup. So far i like the interface.

Is there a way I can parse info into some sort of dummy module that the venus os would then display as a victron device?

VRM
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

So you want to use Victron's investment in their cloud platform to benefit non-victron manufacturers?

I doubt they will be keen to help competing vendors make use of their technology.

Buy a victron inverter/charger and get all the benefits, as well as supporting their ongoing dev work.

The GX platform is open and extensible, if you can pull data via the supported protocols/api's then you could render data in VRM. You would need to do some dev work though and it depends on how open the 3rd party devices are.

0 Likes 0 ·
michaeli avatar image michaeli nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

thanks for your reply. I have purchased some victron gear, but I already HAVE the other gear. I am not likely to switch out thousands of dollars of WORKING gear for integration into the VRM. I was really asking what I was asking, not looking for the moral debate.

Being that this is a open source project, I was looking for some help with my situation and I am certain that I am not alone on this interest.

one last thing I would like to point out can be found here It is open source

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ivo12s avatar image
ivo12s answered ·

Hi, as an idea, I am using Morningstar MPPT 150/60 solar charger exactly as you are asking for.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/10932/venus-os-driver-for-tristar-mppt-solar-charger.html

With the same reason = original investment. Last but not least - finally I decided to sell MSTS and replace it for Victron just to make my live simplier, no needs for SW source manipulation with upgrade etc. But you are right regarding reasonable investment.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaeli avatar image michaeli commented ·
That is extremely helpful, it shows me that people are already doing what I am asking for, just not the right product. Thanks ivo12s, really appreciate that!
0 Likes 0 ·
michaeli avatar image michaeli commented ·
One of the reasons I use MPP Solar is the High PV MPPT Voltage. My inverters mppt can handle upto 450v. I cant easily rewire my system, and i have no desire to do so either as everything is working well. I would really like to get my Solar and inverter data into the VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·