question

botessj avatar image
botessj asked

Multiplus 3 kVA cuts all loads during load shedding when reaching ESS set SOC (ESS#1) at 60%

Hi there. I upgraded a system for a client to the following:

2x Victron Multi II 48V 3kVa in set up in parallel on a 10.4kWh Lithium bank.

Venus GX with BMS CAN

Was working perfectly as load shedding backup. I have now added a 4000Wp solar array

with Smarsolar 250/100 Mppt.

After loading the assistant, I set up system to discharge batteries down to 60% (unless grid fails).

Everthing performed as expected, however about a hour after the batteries reached 60%, we had a load shedding occurrence. Instead of the inverter taking over from grid with remaining battery capacity, it shut the loads down completely.

I have worked thought some options, but can not find any clear cut answers.

Any advice would be appreciated

Multiplus-IIESSSOC
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Posting screenshots of the VE.BUS state and VE.BUS alarms from the Advanced tab on VRM would be really help. Would give us insight into why the shutdown.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@botessj@gmail.com

It can be alot of things here. So i will start with thebmost common.

Are the loads on ac1 or ac2? Ac2 is automatically off in a grid power cut, unless programmed to be on.

Another one could be dynamic cut off voltages in ess. They could be too strict.

The other is the battery bank voltages are collapsing under load. Is the battery switching off or just the inverter? Or the inverter is staying on and the battery on, but the loads are switching off?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

What inverter firmware version?

What did the inverter do when it shut the loads down? Overload or low battery lights?

If overload and if firmware version older than 480, could be a phantom overload, update firmware to 494.

If low battery, then check the battery you have agains ESS dynamic cut-out values.

2 |3000

botessj avatar image
botessj answered ·

Hi. Loads are connected to AC1. Inverter and battery seem to be staying on. Which leads me to agree with the Dynamic cut off voltages. I will attempt to adjust them as soon as I gain access to site. Thank you

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

What are the ESS setting in the Venus GX?

1 comment
2 |3000

botessj avatar image botessj commented ·
Optimized (without battery life) with SOC set on 60%.
0 Likes 0 ·
botessj avatar image
botessj answered ·

I have tweaked the dynamic values, and will be doing a firmware update on the inverters.

Venus is running on latest firmware.

I simulated a black-out, and the system seems to be operating correctly now.

As Mr Chapman mentioned, I suspect a phantom overload

2 |3000