question

renne avatar image
renne asked

Multiplus II/Quattro II: State of (co-)generator support in ESS mode?

@mvader (Victron Energy)

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Customers are waiting for months now to have (co-)generator support in Multiplus II/Quattro II ESS mode. Especially with the new geopolitical situation (Russia) customers demand co-generator or backup generator support in stationary/grid tied installations.

What is the current state? When will generator support be available in ESS mode?

Multiplus-IIESSGenerator
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pepijn-hijdra avatar image pepijn-hijdra commented ·
Hi, I have exact the same question and issue. I hope there is soon a solution to use my gen in the ess mode. The best option is that you can choose that the grid code is working for one input, and the other output is for the gen with gen settings.
1 Like 1 ·
pepijn-hijdra avatar image pepijn-hijdra commented ·
Hello,

Is there already een solution for this problem?

Ess in combination with a Gen?

Pepijn Hijdra

1 Like 1 ·
8 Answers
trevora avatar image
trevora answered ·

This has been fixed but the answer is hard to find so I'm adding it here.

You need to configure as follows:

Connect Generator on AC1

Connect Grid on AC2

Set your country grid code and on AC1 select "Generator no LOM" (you can try with LOM but I could not get gen to stay connected)
AC2 then uses the grid code specified with LOM

With ESS you cannot use dynamic power or power assist.

With gen LOM disabled I found that having Weak AC enabled significantly affected charging, so try you gen with it disabled.

ESS config is as normal after that.

1677251252138.png

1677251252138.png (700.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

baronner avatar image
baronner answered ·

+1

I especially bought the Quattro II for this purpose... But my generator is useless in this ESS setup... Can/will it be solved?

2 |3000

baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·

Any update on that?

2 |3000

baronner avatar image
baronner answered ·

No update yet. Also no update in related topics:

- https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/118193/victron-quattro-ii-48500070-50-50-qua482504010-cer.html

- https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/128986/use-of-generator-in-a-quattroess-installation.html

@mvader (Victron Energy) , @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff), a lot of people are waiting for an update on this issue. Is it hardware related, software related or are we just waiting on the institutions for the certification to be ready?

2 |3000

jan-rotermund avatar image
jan-rotermund answered ·

i need an answer too - I'm waiting to install the Quattro II for exact that scenario! thanks

2 |3000

404 avatar image
404 answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hello,

I would also like to install a Quattro II with ESS and a backup generator, therefore I would like to know if and if so when this will be supported?

2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

While the ideal is that Victron find and implement a fix for this, an idea (perhaps too expensive to be practical) has come to mind and I was wondering if technically it would work in an ESS set up;

If we install a second Multi connected ot the generator, but without using the AC out part and configuring setting it up as charger only, would the GX device be able to detect the AC input loss on the original Multi, activate the relay to start the generator with which the second multi would invert generator power to charge the batteries which in turn feeds the first multi? Ideally there would be a lower cost skylla 48V charger which could communicate with the GX device for this but I don't believe VE has something like this.

Could this be made to work without setting up parallel Multi's?

Alternatively, could 2 Multi's be set up in parralel, one connected to the grid and the other to the generator? I imagine, that if this were to be possible then the expected load must be able to be managed by a single Multi for the pass through part, right?

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

404 avatar image 404 commented ·

I think it works with two multis, but this setup is inefficient and expensive.

It would be much easier if it is possible to set the grid code in the quattro for ACin 1 and ACin 2 separately. Therefore, I don't think that an adaption would be very costly, as the software would only have to be improved at this point.

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) @Matthias Lange - DE

2 Likes 2 ·
r1xxon avatar image
r1xxon answered ·

Any news?

Quattros3PESS

2 |3000