question

Daniel avatar image
Daniel asked

EasySolar 24/1600/40 with 1,6kw/2kw panels possible?

Hy community,

i have 4 x JASolar JAM54S30-400/MR (11BB) 400 Wp and i want to purchase a all-in-one solution like the EasySolar 24/1600/40. Does the EasySolar work with those 1,6kw peak the panels can deliver? And would it be possible to upgrade it to 2kw?

big thx in advance for your help!

Daniel

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I see that you already know that the Victron 100-50 mppt has a PV output limit of 1400w or so.

It is essential that you keep below the 2 main mppt design limits. PV array Voc @ lowest expected climate temperatures. And PV array Isc limits.

An array of 4 JA solar 400w panels be a good match for a 100-50 mppt, when wired up as 2 series/2 parallel. Unfortunately 5 panels can only be wired up as 5 series (danger over voltage) , or 5 parallel (danger over Isc current)

Personally I would avoid those JA panels, simply as they are unique. Should you ever need to replace a damaged panel, it would be really hard to find a near equivelant.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniel avatar image Daniel commented ·

big thx for your answer! just for understanding. in the specs of the EasySolar 24/1600/40 is mentioned that the max pw power is 1400w. Does this mean that 1400w overall or per port?

While you're writing about 2series/parallel i think its per port, right? :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Daniel commented ·

The 100-50 mppt has a maximum power throughput of about 1400w. PV array to 28 volt battery.

Victron Wiring Unlimited basic tutorial.

PV series/parallel array diagram.

series-parallel-pv.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel avatar image Daniel klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

ah ok understood, thx. with 2 series/2parallel i will get 48v output (as the jasolar are 24v each) correct and this will not fit for the EasySolar 24/1600/40, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·

Perhaps you could use the Victron Mppt Calculator?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Daniel commented ·

It would work, but you will not achieve full panel output. For that you need a 75Amp controller.

You could also add a second MPPT wired direct to the batteries. This would allow all the panels to operate at full power, also giving you some headroom for future expansion. Bearing in mind what @klim8skeptic said about these panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel avatar image Daniel kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

thx for your input!

I'm searching for a kinda all-in-one solution but with enough room for future expansion/more panels. or is easysolar 2 gx the best solution for such an approach? or would it make more sense to get a system like the MultiPlus-II gx with. an external/bigger mppt to stay more flexible? as i understand is the easysolar an multiplus 2 inclunding an mppt, right?

dumb question: what in particular is meant by that these panels are unique/hard to get?

big thx in advance for your help/advice!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Daniel commented ·
Big advantage of Easysolar is that it's a pre-assembled ready to go unit. But otherwise no real difference. If you open the case of an Easysolar, you will see the MPPT is the same as the separate units. However the advantage of separates is you can have select the size inverter/charger and MPPT without being tied to the package sizes in the Easysolar range.

The GX models are nice, means you don't need an external GX device. But check the functionality before deciding.

1 Like 1 ·
Daniel avatar image Daniel kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
thx for that info! :-)

it seems that the easysolar 2 series has only one ups powered output (called critical load) but the easysolar (1) series have several outputs for this with extra fuses. can i use the easysolar 2 and split the single (ups) output and put extra fuses afterwards to get the same scenario as on easysolar 1 series?

If i decide to get a matching multiplus 2 gx with external mppt does the external mppt get the same (bus) connection/manageability like it would be the integrated one on easysolar2 series? i really like the overall manageability of that device.

0 Likes 0 ·
Those JA panels are 54 / (108 half cell).

Regular large panels tend to have 60 (120) or 72 (144) cells.

If you ever want to expand that array, or need to replace a damaged panel, you need to find a 54/108 cell panel.

1 Like 1 ·