question

ianod avatar image
ianod asked

Coupling up a generator to MulitiPlus II

I am wanting to connect a generator onto the Multiplus II. The question I have is whether the generator will (i) charge the batteries or (ii) feed the dedicated selected prioritized circuits only or (iii) try and pick up the entire load usually fed by the utility?

I have a 5 KVA Multiplus II unit , 6 x solar panels controlled via MPPT and 2.4Kw/h li-lon battery. The diesel generator is 5 KVA. (I don't want an auto start generator function but rather a manual start). The Generator is only a back up for extended power outages that the PV and batteries cannot sustain

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Ianod,

The generator power will first be prioritised to the loads by the multiplus, if there is additional available capacity, it will then also charge the batteries.

You can limit the generator with the AC input current limit setting so as not to overload it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ianod avatar image ianod commented ·

Thanks Guy ..

1. Will the generator supply all loads or only the prioritized loads?

2. A change over / isolator will be needed in order to switch over from utility power to generator power (in the event of power outage) thereby giving protection to the system when the utility power comes back on

0 Likes 0 ·
Lyndsay Cotton avatar image Lyndsay Cotton ianod commented ·

Just remember that a 5KVa generator will supply much less depending on amongst other things, the alternator, altitude derating (rating of genset is normally at sea level), engine HP etc. Your 5KVa could possibly deliver as little as 3400W.

So your input current limit should be set accordingly

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The generator will supply all loads that are connected to AC1 out and AC2 out,

this is the way the standard unit is configured, this can be changed using assistants etc.

1 comment
2 |3000

ianod avatar image ianod commented ·

Thanks Paul

0 Likes 0 ·