question

jgy67 avatar image
jgy67 asked

Venus GX fails to update to new firmware

My Venus Gx fails to update fw online,

When i press to update v2.84, it initiate the update but after approx a minute it displays a brief message " error updating firmware"

I made a reboot and then retried but not successful.

Im currently running version v2.72screenshot-20220402-073050-vrm.jpg

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

it looks to be not connected to the internet as there is no wifi icon next to the time or is it hard wired.

Also it should be set to Latest Release its not recommended to use the selection you have currently selected

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jgy67 avatar image
jgy67 answered ·

It is in deed connected to internet by cabled ethernet, and same thing happens while attempting update to latest release

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
2 |3000

luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

if you are able to ssh into your GX device, you could check the logs at /data/log/swupdate/current

Cheers, luphi

2 |3000

jgy67 avatar image
jgy67 answered ·

I've performed a factory reset on the device and made a fresh install.

The issue iss stil the same, it refuses to upgrade to a never version, either from usb or via vrm online

Im starting to suspect this is hw related...

2 |3000

s18mat avatar image
s18mat answered ·

Hi i have exactly the same issue, currently stuck a 2.72, have tried with USB and the same result, refuses to update. Was going to return to factory default and try again but it appears that will not work either from what is posted

2 |3000

vavaroutsos avatar image
vavaroutsos answered ·

I'm having the same problem. I'm currently on version 2.72 as well. The only reason I tried to update is I not longer have FW update or remote configuration options on VRM portal. I thought maybe a FW update would correct the issue.

2 |3000

vavaroutsos avatar image
vavaroutsos answered ·

I was able to SSH in and check the logs. The update is failing during gunzip with errno 28 (no space left on device). Is there some problem with v2.72 that did not leave enough space on the disk image to support updates?

1653767909325.png

1653767909325.png (94.5 KiB)
2 |3000

jgy67 avatar image
jgy67 answered ·

perhaps someone reading this from Victron can give advice..

If it it runs out of memory , it surely must be a fix for it.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Have you tried a factory reset?

0 Likes 0 ·
jgy67 avatar image jgy67 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Yes but the problem remains the same.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

In the first post your GX is set to update to beta versions ("Latest release candidate").

Change it to only update to "Latest release" and try that.

If this still does not work, boot into the other firmware and try to update from that (after you set it to update to "Latest release").

2 |3000

jgy67 avatar image
jgy67 answered ·

Thanx for the advice, what exactly do you mean by boot into the other fw, and which other fw would you refer to in your post?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
the GX keeps the previous version as a backup, you can choose to boot this version instead and try update from there. It is located under "stored backup firmware".
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources