question

jamesmcclatchey avatar image
jamesmcclatchey asked

Propane tank level sensor for Cerbo GX

I have read questions regarding liquid tank sensors for Cerbo GX, but cannot find any actionable info on propane tank detectors. Are there any proven propane tank detectors that connect to tank inputs on Cerbo GX?

I have latest version of GuiMods installed. It would be great to see propane levels.@kwindrem

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Check with @safiery as they have some external sensors, but I believe they require the GX Tank 140 USB accessory. They are based in Australia I think.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamesmcclatchey answered ·

Does @safiery have a North American distributor? I am in Atlanta.

2 |3000

sheidler avatar image
sheidler answered ·

just check supersense - www.comworks.de

https://comworks.de/support/shop/product/3-supersense-gascheck/

Can be directly connected to Tank140 to port 3 or 4

white - 24Volt

green - data

brown - GND

2 |3000

cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

there is possibly work being done for Mopeka tank sensors. I have seen pictures of it running in the MOD space. So it may be coming in future updates.

Mopeka pro version is what they are working on. Bluetooth to cerbo GX.

2 |3000

jamesmcclatchey answered ·

I bought two of the Safiery Ultrasonic LPG liquid level detectors that connect to the Victron Tank 140. I was unable to get them to work on two 30 lb US DOT certified LPG tanks. I am in the US. I had two standard Mopeka sensors which worked fine, but wanted something to connect to the Victron Cerbo GX. I cannot be sure of the problem (which I spent several hours on several days trying to solve), but suspect that it has to do with the rounded nature of the bottom of the tank. The sensor on the Safiery product is much larger than the sensor on the Mopeka. When I put the Safiery sensor on the center of the tank, I could not get the blue light to begin blinking which is the sign that the sensor is detecting liquid. I think the slightly rounded bottom of the LPG tank prevented a reading from the large flat sensor.

The only time I got the Safiery sensor to blink was to lay the tank on its side and affix the sensor off-center near the edge of the bottom rim of the tank which is a flatter area. When I turned the tank upright, the sensor stopped blinking.

Probably the Safiery sensors would work on a larger tank that had a flatter bottom. I cannot be sure, but it would make sense based on my experience.

3 comments
2 |3000

bolen1975 avatar image bolen1975 commented ·
I have the Safiery LPG sensors and getting ready to install on 40 lb tanks (a bit bummed to hear you were unable to get them to attach) - how did you wire them into the Cerbo GX? Instructions call for a gel, did your sensors ship with the gel or did you source elsewhere? Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
coreyzev avatar image coreyzev commented ·
Looks like the new Mopeka Pro sensors can connect to VenusOS w/ bluetooth. This is exciting.

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell coreyzev commented ·

The system works well.

screenshot-20221016-082359-kindlephoto-626795263.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

This is an extract from CerboGX V2.9 on the firmware blog regarding Bluetooth LPG sensors from Mopeka.

eb327152-6e5a-4174-a1d7-ec10bc80fd09.jpeg

1 comment
2 |3000

mje avatar image mje commented ·
The Mopeka sensors work well. Would be great if they could estimate how long the Gas/Water would last for at the current daily usage, like we get from the Battery Shunt for the Battery system.
0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

It also depends on what you mean precisely with ¨propane tank¨. If you mean a propane bottle, then a simple method can be to weigh the LPG bottle : after all, these are refilled by distributors based on ... weight. Using a ¨load cell¨, a HX711 DAC amplifier and an Arduino you can get the weight, and thus calculate the % propane left in the bottle. All you need then is to get this info into the Cerbo or any Home Automation system .... Load cell and HX711 cost very little !

2 |3000

tschini avatar image
tschini answered ·

Does anyone have a solution for propane tank bottles like the Alugas TravelMate? I found two solutions but as far as I know only compatible with the smartphone app and not Cerbo GX. Rotarex WAVE Bluetooth Dimes and SuperSense GasCheck, which needs additional things like GX Tank 140.
Mopeka sensor works flawless on my normel bottle with Cerbo GX but not compatible with tank bottles.

2 |3000