question

rattus avatar image
rattus asked

Bluetooth: Built-in vs Dongle and then vs VE.Direct

Good day.

So I'm trying to absorb all the info, new to solar and not too tech-savvy. Could someone cast a little light on the following:

As far as I can tell the various devices have either Bluetooth built in or a dongle, both communicating to a device (ph, tablet, etc) with App, or the VE.Direct cable that'll connect directly to a device for monitoring, also with the App installed. Is that correct?

Next up, in the case of the dongle and VE cable, how often does one really need to attach these to access the info? I mean, it seems to me you'd use it for setting up the system and occasional monitoring, or troubleshooting. Unless you want to play, all the time. I'm trying to get a realistic picture here.

And how do people feel about the built in bluetooth vs the dongle, do the built in units suffer more damage from heat and lower performance?

Do I even ask about the Cerbo? This seems a central brain that one can connect all the other limbs to and control/monitor from there, correct?

Regards.

VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Rattus

Bluetooth is only working locally with the VictronConnect app. There is no communication in between the devices (except for VE.Smart networking).

VE.Direct connected devices connect to a GX controller like the CCGX or Cerbo GX. The GX device is the communication center. Provided that the GX device is connected to the internet and communicating to the VRM portal, you can also use the VictronConnect app to connect to your VE.Direct devices (but not to those who have only Bluetooth).

I use it as often as possible either to set up/change settings or to monitor things. It really depends. If you're a control freak like me, you'll need every opportunity to talk to your devices ;-)

There is no disadvantages when devices heat up etc. The communication is working up to the specifications.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

Thank you @Stefanie

Increasingly I feel trapped in a Monty Python sketch :-)

Though I am confused by this comment:

"you can also use the VictronConnect app to connect to your VE.Direct devices (but not to those who have only Bluetooth)"

I thought the whole idea with having a Bluetooth Smart built-in (eg Smart Solar MPPT) was so you can use the App? Have I misread your explanation?

Would another way of putting this be...?

"Get devices with Bluetooth in each of them"

or

"Invest in a GX device from where you can play with everything, and see how their relationships are going."

Thanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

Yeah, sorry. That sounds a bit misleading. English is not my native language, so please bear with me.

I was talking about Bluetooth only devices in conjunction with VRM. What I meant to say is that you have no access to Bluetooth only devices from remote/VRM, unlike devices which have Bluetooth AND VE.Direct.

Does that make sense?

0 Likes 0 ·
rattus avatar image rattus Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Yup, thanks. That's clear.
0 Likes 0 ·
Eric M. avatar image
Eric M. answered ·

Many of the devices with BT (notably except the Smart Orions) can talk to each other using the Smart Network. You’ll have to check the VE.Smart specs to see which. However these can all be watched when you’re nearby using the VictronConnect app.

VE.Direct is a port where you can attach a BT dongle (VE.Direct smart dongle) to devices that don’t have BT build in to give the aforementioned capabilities. *Or* use that port to connect directly to other devices, most importantly Cerbo, which can be accessed immediately via local network.

If you want slightly more config options, and the ability to access/watch/control your setup from anywhere online, you’ll want the Cerbo + any home router of your choosing - or the GSM (internet/cellular connect) dongle Victron sells.

It would help to list the device categories you’re going to need for us to assist in advising the most connective setup.

If I want second by second info I’ll watch the BT output on the app, but if I want a general overview I’ll open the VRM (website to access Cerbo data from anywhere).

They’re sort of distinct access options, but the smart ones with VE.Direct port will allow for both. Otherwise you’ll stick with one.

I don’t think there’s any drawbacks to “smart”/BT built in devices other than a bit extra cost. Worth it IMO.

2 |3000

rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

Thank you @Eric M.

That's a great bird's eye view.

"It would help to list the device categories you’re going to need for us to assist in advising the most connective setup. "

I'm starting from scratch. Will need PV panels, MPPT, Battery, Inverter (inverter/charger?). Probably a shunt too. Also looking at the Lynx Distributor, maybe, to contain the rat's nest...

(I think the next logical thing for me to do is to write a new post that outlines my needs and possible solutions and request feedback)

2 |3000

rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

@Eric M. @Stefanie Thanks for prompting me to read further.

As I've done that I would like to confirm my findings, for some of the information clashes. And as you stated these are "distinct access options".

I have also read up more about the Smart.Network, the devices listed as compatible is quite short, but when I read the Smart Shunt's manual (excluded form the S.N list) it states it can be connected to the S.N.

An outdated list perhaps?

In any case, I'm trying to design a small off grid system (under 3kWh/day), and hoping to make it connective. Here are my findings, am I right?

1. My understanding is that any device with BT built in (eg Smart Solar MPPT 100|50, Smart Shunt, BMV 712) one can access locally with the Victron.Connect App and configure adequately.
  2. One can also have these devices communicate to each other whilst in operation, to maximise efficiency, via the Smart Network. If compatible.
  3. Connecting them via VE.Direct (dongle or cable) to a eg Cerbo affords greater access to configuration, monitoring, but one has to over-ride the built-in BT.
  4. Cerbo is also accessed via smart ph or tablet, but colour screen is nicer.
  5. Cerbo can be used to programme your Inverter.
  6. The other way to access your inverter is via the MK3-USB to a laptop/computer. Firmware updates and settings changes can be done with the MK3.
  7. The MK3 does not connect to a smart ph.
  8. the VE.Bus Smart Dongle can only be used to monitor status, data, voltages; ON/OFF and charger only mode, and so on... ie It's limited, no major settings changes nor firmware updates.

I'm sure there's more, such as I note VE.Configure is replaced by the Victron.ConnectApp, but can one configure the older Multiplus Compact with the VC.App or must I use VE.Conf?

Excluded from this list is the VRM portal.

So, to conclude, if I'm to set up a small system with the following devices, can I expect good BT connectivity between them and the ability to set them up correctly without having to initially invest in a GX device too?

• Smart Solar MPPT 100|50
  • Battery, with either (a) Built in BMS and CAN comms to inverter.
  • or, BMV 712
  • and/or Smart Shunt.

With regards to inverters I have not decided, but am looking, in the same vein, at...

• Phoenix Smart (built in BT)
  • Multiplus Compact (older model)
  • Newer Multiplus, the long thin flat ones (500-1600VA)

It seems with inverters and their set-up/configuration one must choose between the MK3-USB and a GX (eg Cerbo). Is this right?

The only question I have left is - if I periodically turn the system off do the devices remember the settings changes or do I need to reconfigure them every time I power up? (stupid question maybe, but you never know)

Thanks for reading.

Regards, r.

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Rattus

That was a whopping 13 questions in a single post. Probably a new record here in the community ;-)

If you want more people to be interested in your question(s), I recommend keeping the posts a little shorter and limiting it to one or two questions. More about this in the Community Guidelines.

0. In the VE.Smart Networking manual it also states in the introduction (Section 1) that the SmartShunt is compatible. Yes, the list for supported devices that can make use of the information provided by a SmartShunt or other BMVs in a VE.Smart Network is quite short but growing. I think Victron is working hard on making devices compatible, testing etc. first before working on document updates.

Trying to answer the other questions:

1. Yes

2 Exactly - if compatible

3. No. Bluetooth remains enabled at all times (with a few exceptions for older devices with incompatible hardware which only allow one connection (either via VE.Direct or Bluetooth) at a time

4. Definitely. The GX touch looks nice :-) But not needed. You can have the same information on your phone, which looks also nice

5. Well, sort of. You can change the important settings required for daily use. For MultiPlus in depth system settings it requires a Windows computer, VEConfigure and a MK3 to USB interface

6. see 5.

7. It does connect to a Android phone, afaik, because it has a USB port. iPhone does not work

8. it depends on the system. For example in a VE.Bus BMS system you'll see only voltage and status, you can't switch state (which you can't in a VE.Bus BMS system anyway). In other systems you can set up a whole lot of things for which you normally will need VEConfigure (except for assistants), you see more data and can switch all states. But remember, you'll still need the MK3 as the communication interface between the VE.Bus Smart Dongle and the MultiPlus

9. Yes, that should be no problem - unless VE.Bus BMS...

10. If set up correctly and everything within Bluetooth distance of each other, yes - but I strongly recommend invest into a GX. And if that's not possible (yet), look at a Raspberry PI, burn Venus OS image onto it and you'll have a GX device almost for free (search the forum for more on that)

11. No. A GX is not required to setup/configure a MultiPlus

12. All device have their settings stored. No need to reconfigure.

2 comments
2 |3000

desultory avatar image desultory commented ·
@Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff)

If adding bluetooth plugged directly into the VE.Direct port of a MultiPlus II unit, is there any difference between the VE.Direct Bluetooth device and the VE.BUS bluetooth device in terms of functionality and ability to change / set + view settings etc via the IOS app, or is it the same no matter which of those 2 bluetooth devices are plugged in? Please advise back thanks, cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ desultory commented ·

I'm guessing you mean the MultiPlus-II GX with the VE.Direct port. This port is only for connecting other VE.Direct devices such as a MPPT, BMV etc. to the GX inside the MultiPlus. It does not work with a VE.Direct Bluetooth dongle and would not add any additional functionality.

Use either the VE.Bus Smart dongle or, if you want full functionality, an MK3 to USB interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

Thank you very, very much for responding @Stefanie

Apologies, I just get carried away. The excitement! That moment you move from being a complete ignoramus to actually knowing something is always revivifying.

I will study your response...(and the Community Guidelines)

bye bye.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic